1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

keeping settings when replacing 12 v battery: which booster battery to use?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by priusunum, Oct 2, 2010.

1. priusunum

priusunum priusunum

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've taken the plunge and ordered an Optima yellow top to replace the OEM battery in my 2006 Prius. I have carefully read most of the posts about the procedures, and I think I can do it, being of average layman mechanical ability. I'm encouraged by those who've written to say it's not all that hard to do.

I do have one question: I don't want to have to redo the various settings that would be gone (i.e. radio, back up beep removal, electric window settings). I know I need to hook up a booster battery in the engine compartment to accomplish this, but I'm not sure which of the three boosters I own to use.
    Here's what I have to choose from:
    1. Battery Minder Plus, model #12117, a 12 volt charger with 1.3amps

2. Schumacher Speed Charge, model wm6000A for 12 v batteries. It can be set to charge at various amps, namely 2amps, 10amps, 30amps, 60 amps

3. Sears Diehard Portable Power 950, a 12 volt jump starter.

Which of these should I use?

j12piprius and hikingcaver like this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    None. Most modern battery chargers need to see a reasonable voltage level from the battery being charged, before they will produce voltage. The purpose behind this is to ensure that the:

1) battery cables are properly connected and
    2) recipient battery is not so dead that it will consume excessive charging current.

Hence, if you feel the need to maintain the various settings, you will need a 12V battery of some sort. It could be a couple of 6V lantern batteries in series. It could be a small 12V battery of the sort used for backup power in alarm systems.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Something like #3 will work, since it is a battery. I used a Peak 300 when I did mine. These are handy sources of 12V power, not just for battery jumping and charge maintaining. It is nice to leave in the car at the airport as well, just in case the car battery is DOA upon return.

j12piprius likes this.
  4. priusunum

priusunum priusunum

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the prompt reply Patrick. I understand why I can't use the first two options, but why can't I use the third option, the Sears 12v Die Hard 950 jumpstart charger that I have on hand? Is it too powerful? Will it damage something in the electronics of the car? Seilerts who also replied said he used a Peak 300 successfully. I'd rather not buy another battery just to maintain my settings while replacing my 12 volt. I'm getting my Optima from elearnaid and maybe their instructions will enlighten me further on this subject?

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The instructions say "The portable jump starters work great!"

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, if you find that #3 will provide 12V power without requiring other voltage to be present as a prerequisite, then no worries.

7. priusunum

priusunum priusunum

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank you Patrick and Seilerts for answering my questions! I should be receiving my Optima battery sometime next week, and will write back after I have installed it to report on how it went so others thinking of doing the same thing will have the benefit of my experience.

I didn't know about the 12v auxiliary battery until after I bought the car. Everybody mentions the high-voltage hybrid battery, but only Prius owners talk about the auxiliary battery! The fact that it is more expensive and harder to install than a conventional battery, and that you can't just go in to any auto parts store and buy one that works on the Prius is, I think, one of the few negatives of the Prius. I have no problem or anxiety about changing a conventional car battery, as I've done on my previous gasoline engine- only cars, but it took me a while to get up my courage to decide to replace the Prius battery myself, and I got that courage from reading the many good posts on Prius Chat.

So thanks again to all of you more knowledgeable and experienced about cars and technical stuff who write in and share. This is a great site and I have learned a lot from it.

8. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I connected my combo slow/med/jump start batery charger to the front (underhood) connector on the trickle setting (1A or less), then removed the old battery, and kept all my settings.

j12piprius and hikingcaver like this.
  9. JimboRay

JimboRay New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I want to do the same thing, 2amp/10amp/50ampbooster using the 2amp setting during the swap. I don't have a trickle setting, only the 2amp setting. I use the 10amp setting whenever I want to keep the battery at full charge, the 2amp for trickle which will keep it at around 80/90% of full charge. My Toyota garage suggests using a hot swap. Have you ev er tried this method? [email protected]

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I used a 0.5 amp trickle charger, old as dirt (so likely not voltage detecting), labelled as being for motorcycle batteries.

There's a lot of commercially available items that consist of a 9 volt battery socket and cigarette socket. Trouble with these, most cars today disconnect the cigarette socket when the ignition is off.

Here's one with gator clips. Still, I've heard a 9 volt might not be enough to hold memory.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B002YKGETA?tag=priuschatcom-20
    And this would work, for anyone with a portable jump starter having cigarrete socket outlet:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B002BHX1X8?tag=priuschatcom-20
    Plugs between your jumpstarter's cigarrete outlet and obdII on the car. Would just using the starter's jumper cables also work? Or just too cumbersome. I was actually looking for one of these a while back. Nice to see it's available now.

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The Prius 12V battery is really no harder to change than most other cars. It -may- be a little tighter in there than most under-hood units, but not severely so.

Any small 12V battery will work on the "boost terminal". Just be careful not to hit the brake pedal while you are changing the battery. If you do you could overtax a smaller battery with the 50 Amp brake booster pulse.

NEVER "hot swap" a 12V battery on any car! By "hot swap" I mean with the vehicle on. If you do you are asking to blow very expensive electronics!

12. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I used a 12V lantern battery (http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-926-Lantern-Battery-General/dp/B000ROFZFE) connected to the jump points under the hood as the backup when removing the 12V battery to add water. The lantern battery started out 12.8 something volts. Supplying juice to the car it drooped down to 11 something and going lower with time. Right before I re-connect the 12V battery back it was down to 8 something volts. I thought that was $12 wasted. After the 12V battery was reconnected I quickly checked the ratio stations were still there. I haven't tried to start the car yet. I think a beefier rechargeable 12V battery would be better as the backup.

13. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello David: I have a battery disconnect switch at my neg. 12V terminal, and have turned it off after car is in ready, as you know the Prius is maybe the only car that this can be done on. And as you know the car can still be driven with no problems. After the drive I have energised the quick disconnect and of course everything is normal. Does this qualify as a "HOT SWAP" ? :D

14. hikingcaver

hikingcaver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are there any crucial setting that should be kept when changing the 12 v battery?
    I don't know of any window settings, nor how to turn off the backuo beep
    -
    The radio I can deal with

Thanks

15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There might also be stored "historical data" that some ECU's use that may have to be re-learned. Some people report that their MPG's are miscalculated for a while after battery disconnect reset. I don't think it's really that bigger deal though.

I just keep an old 12V battery from my other car, it's too weak to crank but still useable for the occasional bench job. I only managed to charge it to about 12.4V but it still held a minimum of 12.3V during the change over.