1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keeping The CARB Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cory151, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since my gen II still has 25k or so left until it reaches 150,000 miles I was wondering, while I have the option, where I should register? The car was purchased in CA new by the previous owner, yet I noticed in the car fax that it was registered for a year in Nevada, when the original owner lived there for a year, for work. Since it was at one point registered out of state is there no CA emissions warranty at this time anyway?

My options are: Register in Ohio and pay no sales tax and most likely lose the 25,000 mile warranty that still exists?

Or

Register the car in California, paying sales tax of $700-$800, with the possibility of keeping my CARB warranty until it expires?

FWIW do to my job with the Fed I have the option of which state to register regardless, of where the vehicle is operated.

Anyone have any idea? Dealt with this before? WWJD?

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    WWJD. What Would Jim Do? You're going to spend $700-$800 for a 25000 mile warranty on the hybrid components. What are the DMV fees & insurance rates?

The warranty is too expensive. Bank the money.

3. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    given the age and mileage of the car I would get it if I could confirm that the Cali CARB warranty stands despite that one year in Nevada.

4. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Two completely different points of view, very interesting. Insurance doesn't matter as it goes according to where the vehicle is driven.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    /subscribe

I'd be curious to hear of the outcome as I have a similar situation. I bought my 06 new Prius in 06 in California where it was operated until late 09, when I had to move to WA for work. It was registered in WA but then I moved back to CA towards the end of 2011 and re-registered it in CA.

I don't intend to move out of CA again, so I hope I haven't lost my lost CARB emissions and HV battery warranty.