1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keeping trip record for fun & early problem detection

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2009Prius, Sep 13, 2010.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    nice!! what did this run you?

also, i notice in most of your screens, even when the car is warmed up, inverter temps seem very low. what is the temp range you have been seeing and does longer trips make any significant impact on them?

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks! Originally I was going to get one of the ASUS tablet PCs that runs less than $500. Eventually I decided to get this Fujitsu at about 3X $$$ but with a larger, higher res, brighter "outdoor" screen among other things - better CPU, more memory, HDMI, DVD drive, ... etc. And of course there are countless hours spent learning to do the programming...

The temp readings may be confusing because I use "NASA units" - the ambient and engine coolant temps are in F but the inverter, MG, battery, and cat temps are in C. I only started collecting inverter temp data since a few weeks ago. Ambient was between -8 and 3 C and max inverter temp recorded was 33C (ranging 20s to 30s). I only have the chance to measure my commute route which is all local roads ~ 18 miles one way. Hope this helps. :)

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya i figured the "C" part. so up to 33º is all. that is pretty mild. ummm, hmmm, do you grill block?

4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yes with some small gaps left open in both upper and lower grill.

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ahhh!! this statement needs to be made a sticky!!

we have VERIFIABLE proof that grill blocking does little or NO DAMAGE!!

6. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Well I hesitate to go that far - it's in the middle of the winter, I do leave some gaps in the blocking, and my drive is only local roads with PSL<=40MPH so plenty of ICE off time. Last winter when I had full grill block the max ICE coolant temp shot up to 206F a few times (route was half highway half local back then). Later in spring it went up to 209F twice even with some small gaps opened up. So in general I would say don't grill block too aggressively unless temps are monitored carefully. Hope this helps. :)

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually that is what i have observed as well. i block about 80% both upper and lower on the 2006. on the 2010, i am just doing 100% lower as it appears that there is no difference when any portion of the top is blocked. my commute is also primarily 40 mph or less

8. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, another one of those sleeper threads that is just way cool! 2009prius, really nice job! Please add my name to the list of interested folk. I have plenty of time, develope away, i'll be around!!
    +1

1 person likes this.
  9. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice! did not see this until now.
    are you planing to release it for sale or free for the prius communicty that whants to try it!
    i dont think a lot of poeple beside the more techical intressed would want to have a netbook on there dash.

can i download it somewhere and what usb-can adapter did you use! what chipset.

10. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks! Once I got it finished (it's still evolving) I will share for sure. There are a number of tablet/slate PCs supposed to be coming out this year that may be less expensive options than the Fujitsu I am using. The OBD-USB adapter I use is
    ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink Scan Tool/OBD Interface - ScanTool.net
    It is not the lowest priced product but they have very good tech support. Also I would rather buy from a US based company that design their own product with technical expertise, as opposed to the so called "Chinese clones".

11. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok.. mm i have a elmscan 5 so i guess thats not going to work
    tech support is also great because there is a big community behind it
    and its cheap
    i used it in the past with a software i got from ken@japan that got it from soem japanese guy that made it
    its then bean rewritten to work with the elmscan and that worked fine no props

funny during this post i am looking at your website link but the housing and price is somewhat the same as my elmscan
    any idear what chipset is inside....

elmscan
    [​IMG]

your device
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Is your device this one:
    ScanTool.net LLC - ElmScan 5 Compact -- ELM327 based scan tool - ScanTool.net
    ?
    If so then it is made by the same company so it may work fine. Being able to work with Ken's program is a good sign too.

13. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
  14. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Technically true, but they are compatible. Specifically
    ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink Scan Tool/OBD Interface - ScanTool.net
    accepts most relevant ELM commands. The company started out using the ELM chip and later developed their own chips. That's part of the reason why I bought their product - I want to support US companies that still do their own R&D.

15. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mm yes thats the one
    so the elmscan is already on it rebound

mm hope the new one is based on the elmchip with some enhandcements
    so maybe basic command stuff wil be the same

16. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Toying with HUD. :D

Camera roughly at eye level (no interference with field of view for normal driving):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close ups for more detail (camera in front of half silvered mirror):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is fun stuff, thanks for sharing! I found this by searching for links to my own site, eahart.com/prius/psd that you referenced in relation to your nomograph display. I don't know if you saw this, but years ago I made a redesigned version of my interface that actually ran on someone's dash monitor: Mac Prius (click "PSD Movie" in the first paragraph). I updated the look to a black background and a prettier layout with temp readings and some other informational displays, but never saw that in operation.

1 person likes this.
  18. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks! I did come across the Mac Prius site at some point. I am thinking doing a carPC install also. It's getting tedious to get the tablet in and out every drive.

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i love the look, but i have to check with laws here. they are pretty strict about obstructed views

20. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The mirror is semi-transparent and only cover a few feet in front of the car. Although I agree often times it's fruitless to reason with the cop. I have since moved the speedometer, tachometer, and engine coolant T further up so they are near the top edge of the mirror and easy to glance with my peripheral vision.