1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kenwood Mini-Sub

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dgstan, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We can fit in TWO Kenwood KSC-SW1 subs!

Good luck on the installation. Allow me to repeat it again, please post here (preferably w/ pics.) once the sub is in the underhatch compartment.

A lil' info that I found out today, the underhatch compartment is roughly 33" (W) x 12" (D) x 5" (H). The Kenwood KSC-SW1 dimensions: 15.75" (W) x 9" (D) x 3.75" (H). As you can see, we can physically fit in TWO Kenwood subs. Will that be an overkill & a waste of money? Does more mean deeper bass for these 6.5" driver subs? I don't want/need overwhelming heavy bass.

I also checked out Infinity Basslink today, it will not fit inside this compartment.

2. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I stopped by the local Circuit City today to see what they would charge for install of the Kenwood sub. The kid looked puzzled and a bit challenged by the Prius. He said "we've never worked on a 2004+ Prius before."

I pulled out all the documentation on dash removal, etc. that I have downloaded from here and he looked relieved. He said he would rather tap everything at the back of the stereo and total labor would be around $60.

I decided if he's going to open up the dash then I would have him install an aux input while there. I just ordered an AUX2CAR box and the cables and will return for total installation when those arrive.

3. tcjohnsson

tcjohnsson New Member

Which install sounds better? Under the passenger seat or under the rear hatch? Anyone listen to both setups? Also, anyone compare the bazooka install vs the Kenwood? Are there any other options (besides custom enclosures)?

4. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tcjohnsson\";p=\"89386)</div>
    I have no idea which sounds better but I will vote for underhatch installation cos' I have a feeling that I will end up using the passenger seat underspace for some upcoming devices like mini-PC, PS3, mobile phone amplifier, etc. I cannot foresee myself utilizing the underhatch space (which is not as accessible) except for things like subs. But rattling may be more than under the seat...

There are very few choices on self-powered sub, and very few stereo shops recommend them probably because the installation is substantially cheaper than non-powered sub + amp type of setup. Another common unit is Infinity Basslink. It has 10" woofer and is substantially thicker than those Kenwood models. The only place that we can install it in the Prius (without heavy customization) is to lay it upright inside the trunk. Like how others did to the Bazooka. If you are into heavy bass and if you like to stay brand loyal, you may install 2x Basslink subs inside the underhatch area, drill 2 holes on the hatch cover & the carpeting above to expose the 2 subs. They will not be flush w/ your trunk floor though and are prone to scratches as you load luggage, etc.

[​IMG]

Go to Crutchfield.com to see other models.

5. priusdave

priusdave Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ifogel\";p=\"88694)</div>
    now see that is what i would prob do, did the poeple at best buy know what they were doing? my only fear of doing thiseither myself or having some 1 else do this is that they would mess som,thin up... :cussing:

6. ifogel

ifogel New Member

Best Buy did the job well. They had never worked on a Prius before but did the job totally professionally without any wires or holes showing.

7. priusdave

priusdave Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ifogel\";p=\"90338)</div>
    nice, i may need to look into that

8. enerjazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got my Kenwood Sub installed today at a local Circuit City. It's the model KSC-SW1 and I had it installed in the compartment in the hatch.

Installer never worked on a Prius before but he jumped right in. I also ordered the Aux2Car box and had them install that too with the RCA plugs routed into the flip down space below the stereo.

The total job estimate was about two hours and I returned about 10 minutes before they were done. Installer came out and asked if there was anything special about turning on the stereo - he couldn't get any sound. That didn't sound good! I looked at it and pushed all the known buttons with no result. He opened it back up and checked connections. Finally, when he pulled the aux box connector out the sound came right on.

He showed me the dip switch settings on the box and they matched the manual, but it was not working. We agreed to close up the dash and I would check on a replacement box. He said come back with the replacement and he'll drop what he's doing and install it right away.

I then got in to test the sound and found the hybrid warning light on. We made a quick check of the manual and a call to the dealer to trouble shoot. I noticed the battery bar indicator was at the bottom and was red. The open door and stereo playing had apparently drawn down the battery. I decided to drive it and it quickly recharged and the light went away.

After I got home I looked at the aux box and noticed that contrary to conventional wisdom, DOWN is ON for the switches. He had flipped them all the opposite way. I'll bring it back and let him try again.

So, it wasn't a perfect installation, but I wasn't even bothered because the installer had an excellent attitude and good customer service skills. He committed to make it right even if they had to pay the $80 diagnostic that the Toyota dealer quoted to check out the warning light.

Oh, and it sounds great! I have the base model stereo. That subwoofer should have been part of the premium package. I listen to jazz and I can feel the wood resonate on those upright bass lines now. I attached a couple of pics. I also routed the remote to the under console slide out box.

9. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for your report. Would you say that there is a need for another sub to get even more bass? Or is this one just right? I have one KSC-SW1 on order for a week already...

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I was suspecting that maybe the dip switches were backwards. Its easy to do even for an experienced tech. Open can mean ON or OFF, 1 or 0 depending on the internal logic used. The switch could be grounding pull-up resistors, in which case closed would produce a logic 0, or OFF. Or, closing the switch could be applying voltage, thus doing the opposite.

11. enerjazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Areometer\";p=\"92770)</div>
    No need for two. One can really fill the car. The installer even commented how surprised he was at the solid output of "that little 6 1/2" sub."

12. Rowan

Rowan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    enerjazz,

That looks great, what happens if you need to access the spare tire, does the speaker unplug somewhere so you can take the tray totaly out of the car?

13. enerjazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rowan\";p=\"93031)</div>
    The installer attached the speaker to the pan and left a few feet of wire coiled underneath. I can lift the pan out of the way with the sub still attached to the pan. Access to the spare is no problem.

14. enerjazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Returned to CC today and reinstalled the Aux2Car with proper Dip switch settings. It works. However, the output is definitely much lower than the other sources. Might just be my cheap mp3 player, but it was at full and the stereo was a MAX and the level was just modest.

I got the Peripheral Aux2Car from www.discountcarstereo.com
    Direct link - http://www.discountcarstereo.com/SearchRes...eyWords=aux2car

You have to buy the following:

1. Quantity: 1
    Product ID: PXDX
    Product Name: Peripherals AUX2Car Auxiliary Input Adapter with Free Cable.
    Price: $75.98
    Select Cable - PXHTY1 Vehicle Year/Make/Model - Vehicle Year/Make/Model 2004 Toyota Prius

2. Quantity: 1
    Product ID: TOY03-F/MM
    Product Name: 2003-Up Toyota "Y" Adapter harness (08695-00370)
    Price: $12.98
    Select Vehicle - 2003-05 Scion xA (I had to input Scion because Prius was not in the pull down menu. The cable fit and connected my stereo to the PXHTY1 cable)

15. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which MP3 player do you have?

16. mtc1234

mtc1234 New Member

And, did you have the opportunity to try the "fix" mentioned in other posts related to volume?

17. enerjazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a 512 MB Sandisk Cruzer USB Drive so I picked up a Sandisk Cruzer Micro MP3 Companion for $40. The flash drive plugs into the player.

I have not had a chance to try the dip switch change that is supposed to improve volume. I'm heading out of town so it will be a while before I can open it up and try.

18. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

enerjazz - i'm purchasing the same unit (kenwood ksc-sw1) and will be doing the same... with a non-jbl system. thanks so much for the info posted!

did you start with jbl, or non-jbl? did the installer end up pulling the signal from the back of the head unit as you indicated he first thought?

do you think an amp is needed, or does it sound fine w/o? (assuming you don't have jbl)

thanks. :D

19. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do you have the dip settings for the Aux Box? When I had CC attempt to install it with my Starbase, I was told that while the box worked once it played the auxilliary input it would not switch back to the CD player. I'm wondering if the problem could have been the dip settings.

Thanks.

20. mtc1234

mtc1234 New Member

Did you have a CD in the player? I just installed the Aux Box, and other than the low volume issue, it works well. I noticed that if a CD wasn't in the CD player, it would not show up when cycling through the options. Put one in, and AM-FM1-FM2-CD-AUX (or similar).

I did try flipping the 6 dip switch as was reported with the IPOD connector. After doing that and hooking back up, I was getting interference.

mtc