1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kept Car Warming Too Long, Battery Died

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusJosh, Dec 9, 2013.

1. PriusJosh

PriusJosh New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good morning,

Last night during the East Coast's snow storm, I left my 2004 Prius warming for 10 minutes in park. I have a newborn and wanted the car warm for her. When I got back outside to leave, the Prius had died. The check engine light was on, but that was on before because I need to get the oil changed.

I went to jump start it, but when I opened the hood, I could hear that the engine seemed to still be running - it sounded like the belts were still going. So I was nervous to jump start it with the engine still seemingly on. I waited 30 minutes and that noise stopped.

When I tried to jump start it, I couldn't get the fuse box cover off after an hour of trying at 10PM, in the snow and rain. So I gave up and will try again later today.

Can anyone tell me if the hybrid battery died or the 12v? I'm hoping a quick jump start will fix it, but I stayed up all night fearing the worse.

Thank you so much for your help!

2. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you sure it died, or did the ICE just stop running because it was warm enough? Once the cabin is warmed up sufficiently, the ICE will cycle on and off to maintain heat.

3. PriusJosh

PriusJosh New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    jhinsc,

I tried turning the car off and on, and nothing happened. All the lights had died by the time I got out (the dashboard was no longer on, the screen was off, etc.). The electronic locks were also not working. All signs indicated a battery (not sure which one) died. Though I could be off. Unfortunately, I'm not the best with cars.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like your 12v battery, but if it's gone enough where the car does not keep it charged while running then jumping might not help for long. I would go directly to Toyota if it does start in case it won't go again.

The fuse box cover comes off easily when you release the latch on the short (front) bottom edge. It hinges up and off. Push in above the lower latch. Then lift the red cover to access the small jump point.

(ps: you are in the prius v wagon forum)

5. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would check your 12v battery first - may be the likely culprit.

6. PriusJosh

PriusJosh New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good morning,

Last night during the East Coast's snow storm, I left my 2004 Prius warming for 10 minutes in park. I have a newborn and wanted the car warm for her. When I got back outside to leave, the Prius had died. The check engine light was on, but that was on before because I need to get the oil changed.

I went to jump start it, but when I opened the hood, I could hear that the engine seemed to still be running - it sounded like the belts were still going. So I was nervous to jump start it with the engine still seemingly on. I waited 30 minutes and that noise stopped.

When I tried to jump start it, I couldn't get the fuse box cover off after an hour of trying at 10PM, in the snow and rain. So I gave up and will try again later today.

Can anyone tell me if the hybrid battery died or the 12v? I'm hoping a quick jump start will fix it, but I stayed up all night fearing the worse.

Thank you so much for your help!

7. PriusJosh

PriusJosh New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    rjparker and jhinsc: Thank you for your help! What would I do at Toyota? Just ask them to check the batteries?

I got the fuse box open finally. I was trying to pull up, not press in.

I apologize for posting in the wrong forum. If a mod wants to close this thread, please do so. I have reposted my question on the appropriate forum

8. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You posted your new thread in the wrong section as well, you want the Gen2 section. I'm sure a mod will come along and move this thread.

Are you sure you didn't run out of gas? Any idea what the check engine light was on for before?

9. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The check engine light was on, but the car died? IGN ON, but not "ready" light on?
    Did hear your car start engine when you turned on in the first place?

Note this is "Prius c" forum, not "2 Gen".

10. PriusJosh

PriusJosh New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    *sigh* I just noticed that, too. Stress is messing with my mind! Sorry mods!

The check engine light was on because I needed to get an oil change. And yes, it worked perfectly fine when I started it. And it had 3/4s a tanks of gas, so it shouldn't be that.

I figured it was because the battery ran out. I notice that if I sit idle for too long, the battery drops to two bars or so. So I figured it emptied and died because nothing was wrong beforehand. And the 12v battery dying didn't make sense because the car was turned on; should it run out of something is on (like a light) but the car isn't on?

So my big fear is the hybrid battery died somehow. I called the local Toyota dealer and asked their service tech for his two cents. He said he couldn't offer me any unless I took it in. I'm broke, so I'm hoping it doesn't come down to that.

11. PriusJosh

PriusJosh New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, the car turned on and worked perfectly. I left it in idle, came out 10/15 mins later and it had died. I'm going to try to jump start when I get home.

Yes, the check engine light was on, but nothing else was: not the screen, the dashboard (except the check engine light), etc, though the headlights were on. The light on the ignition button was off. So I tried turning it on (or off depending on how you look at it), and nothing happened.

Sorry for putting this in the wrong thread. This is actually my second attempt at putting it in the right spot. Unfortunately, I was up all night thinking about this and my mind appears to be elsewhere.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oil change is 'maintenance required' not check engine.

13. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would take it to a dealer during service hours so that if your check engine light means your 12v battery is totally bad, or your charging circuit is bad, or something else, you would have it somewhere where they could do something about it. You are right that "normally" the 12v would not discharge with the engine on. However neither would the hybrid battery as the engine would simply start and recharge it also. UNLESS you left it in Neutral the whole time. The hybrid battery does not charge in Neutral. IF the hybrid battery is totally discharged THEN it won't start with a jump since it takes BOTH batteries to actually start the engine.

14. PriusJosh

PriusJosh New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. A friend has a battery gauge that I can use on the 12v to see if it's that one.

I assume it was in Park since I just turned it on, and had left it in Park when I parked it earlier in the day.

I'll update this thread once I have tried jump starting it tonight so if someone else runs across this problem, there's a conclusion - one way or the other.

Thanks again for your help!

15. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Both threads moved from the Prius v and Prius c forums and merged together into the proper Gen II Maint. and Troubleshooting forum.

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Josh, your posts need to be clearer if you want useful help. There is too much guessing going on.

"Check engine" light looks like a little amber engine.
    "MAINT REQD" light is the 5,000 mile odometer timer that reminds you that the car needs an engine oil/oil filter change. Which warning light was on?

How do you know the Prius had "died"? Exactly what happened to make you think that?

Did you actually look at the engine's serpentine drive belt to see if it was spinning or not? If not, look at the end of the engine closest to the passenger fender, and find the serpentine drive belt now, so that in the future you will have no doubt about whether the engine is spinning or not.

If the check engine light was on, then your car has a problem which is unrelated to an engine oil change, and that needs to be addressed now.

Are you sure that when you left the car, it was READY and not IG-ON (where all dashboard warning lights are on)? Certainly if you left the car IG-ON for ten minutes with the cabin fan spinning, that would rapidly deplete the 12V battery especially in winter weather.

17. PriusJosh

PriusJosh New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Paradox - Thanks for moving!

Patrick Wong: Sorry for the confusion. The check engine light was on when I got back to the car. You're right, the maintenance required light was not on.

The symptoms I saw that made me think it died are: The dashboard (except for the check engine light) was dark and the screen was dark (like the car was off); the fans from my heater were off when they were on before; and finally I tried turning it on (just to see what would happen) and nothing happened. All those things happened BUT the headlights were on.

I heard a buzz like a belt, but I did not know where to look to find the belt. After 30 minutes, that sound became silent.

I put my foot on the break and pressed the ignition button. The car turned on and the fans started. I got out of the car and shut the door. I scrapped my car and went back inside for five minutes and the car was like how I described.

I'm not sure how to put it in IG-ON v READY.

18. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Should be explained in the car manual. If it was in IG/on indeed, the 12V battery would be exhausted and that would explain all the symptoms.

19. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think you need to learn the basics of how your Prius works better so you don't panic unnecessarily and don't create problems.
    The Prius won't just continue running the gas engine when you first start just up to heat up the car.

It will run for a short time to get the hybrid battery up to a satisfactory level and then the gas engine will shut down.
    Some of the sounds under the hood are probably normal Prius sounds; there is an electric water pump that circulates coolant to the engine to warm it up quicker and reduce emissions. It usually comes on right when you start up and a minute up to several hours after you turn the car off, transferring hot coolant to/from the engine and the Coolant Heat Storage Tank (CHS). There is also an electric coolant pump that circulates coolant to the inverter as it converts/inverts power.
    Your Prius is doing all these thing to get the best mileage and reduce emissions.
    The 12-volt battery is probably the weak link here. Making mistakes can run it down and if it gets run down several times, it will just die. The Hybrid battery is more robust, but a 2004 could have issues with that too. How many miles on the car and is it the original Hybrid battery? Don't assume the hybrid battery died.

If you give your location, some of the people here may be able to guide you to a fair repair shop.
    Some places would rip you off if you come in as panicky as you seem.

20. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you jump start the car and everything works fine for a few days we can be reasonably sure it was just a dead battery and that you had the car in accessory mode not " ready on" Like turning the key to ignition on a regular car but not starting the engine. In this mode heater fans, radios and the screen work but it is not running or charging the battery. If the car was in fact "ready on" - turned on and running then died, there is something wrong that needs to be fixed. The check engine light will have a related code to tell us more. I suppose the 12v battery could totally fail and cause the car to quit while running but I have never seen it before.