1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Key #999 or Bump Keys" Hide your Valuables

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Jan 24, 2007.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is not a hoax or a scare tactic read below.

This is the new trend for Burglars they're called "Bump Keys" these keys can get a bad guy into every key lock known to man with the exception of the $90 - $150 Bump Proof locks.

Imagine coming home from work unlocking your door, and finding your lap-top missing then you notice the other items that are missing, but wait the door was locked?! There are no signs of forced entry!.. Hmm who did I lend a key to?..

Since the media has aired the video on how easy it is to get into a deadbolt locked door, business / residential burglaries have started to rise in Central Florida other places around the US .......

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7849885287713677821

Filed under: Misc. Gadgets
    [​IMG]

Anyone who knows anything about locks and lock picking knows that most locks on most doors -- the tumbler variety -- can be picked with a little skill and a couple of tools. But what would you say to the frightening truth that lying before the world, these hundreds and hundreds of years we've been using tumbler locks, was a simple technique that allows an intruder to quietly, quickly, easily open any lock for the cost of $3 - $4 a copied key?

It's called "bump keying or a 999 key", and By simply cutting some keys down to serrated-like edges of sharp, even peaks and valleys, an amateur can break into a home in less time than it takes to disassemble a bic pen (ie 30 seconds or less).

A master locksmith walked up to his own shop, bumps a key, and cruises right in only to declare that his own front door is now no longer more secure than it would be using a $10 lock (after the break in). The cheap, easy, no-mess modern skeleton key: thanks to the internet will be coming to a burglar near you.

This and other videos are floating around the net posted by professionals for informational purposes & by thugs to pass info on to other thugs as an easier, faster way to commit their crimes.

Just a rule of thumb, Most residential burglaries happen during the day 8a-4p, as this is when most people are still at work. It normally only takes the bad guy 5-15 min. to get in and get out, and leave YOU to sort out the rest.... :mellow:

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If this is true (and I say IF because I am reserving judgement) it will create a big market for electronic locks. Such locks might use a magnetic card, a Prius-like keyfob, a combination touch-pad, or a combination of several such methods.

Burglar alarm sales will also soar. A typical burglar alarm goes off if you don't enter a combination on a touch-pad, regardless of whether a key was used to open the door. I doubt if any person who is really worried about burglary relies on a deadbolt lock alone. After all, if the story is true all it does is increase the number of people who can open a lock, from the set of skilled lock-pickers to the set of people willing to acquire the special key and take the risk of being caught because a silent alarm brings the rent-a-cops. Locks have also never been effective against people willing to break down your door.

The story says that because the bumpkey keaves no sign of forced entry, insurance companies will not pay. However, if bump keys become common, insurance companies will no longer be able to use that excuse. Though it's one more reason to shop for the best insurance company, rather than simply the lowest premium cost.

For my part, I'm not concerned, because Spokane is a low-crime city. Small cities generally have little crime, and have many other quality-of-life advantages as well.

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bump Keys are real and they work very well on most locks.

I've been meaning to make myself a few bump keys. :D :ph34r:

I tend to stick with the standard lock pick or credit card method when entering a locked door.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm with daniel on this... Bump keys just give them another method. Regardless of how they get in, your insurance company *should* pay for it. Refusal to pay by them will most likely lead to a lawsuit, which would be held up in court. i can't think of a single judge who would deny a claim after seeing someone use a bump key on a brand new door lock to open it.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The monthly cost of our home owner's insurance is about the same cost as our Alarm company (not counting various motion / window / door detectors). Plus, it's hooked into the smoke detectors. Peace of mind. ;)

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Jan 25 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]380575[/snapback]</div>
    Yes alarm systems are the way to go, (however if you break down the times) they normally give you (30-60 seconds) to punch in your code. If you do not enter your code the monitoring service calls your home another (60 seconds), then if you do not answer, they call the police dept another (60 seconds) who then dispatches a unit another (1-3 minutes) then the unit responds to the scene another (5-10 minutes) lets see thats approx. 15-20 mins. :huh:

This leaves enough time for the professional burglar to get in and get out. Most burglars tend to spend about (5-15 min in a home/apartment) Most experienced burglars find a back pack or large pillow case to carry the small items out so not to raise suspicion from passers by. ;)

I get people all the time that tell me to dust for prints! I dust for latents on every burglary its dept. policy.
    It kills me that most people think we are like the TV show CSI & that we will get something from nothing, only 10% of what you see on that show is real the rest is Hollywood. kinda hard to lift prints off of a grainy or textured 'dusty' wood or plastic surface, you lift the print and the dust covers the print as it is lifted.. not to mention what the black print powder does to cream or white carpet. :blink: We get lucky when the bad guy picks up or moves a smooth surfaced box or similar smooth surfaced item.

Most of the scenes I have been to the badguy wipes down every thing they touch or where wearing gloves.

Same goes for a car if the out side is not clean(hasn't been washed that week or washed at all) we can't get prints nor can we get them from grainy dash or letherette surfaces..... Ever see what ivory int. looks like after being dusted? It aint pretty.. And its up to the owner to have it cleaned, as it is only done at the request of the owner. ;)

Im not sure about home insurance companies not covering the break in statement. but yes daniel 999 keys are for REAL... :(

7. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have been hit numerous times. Those keys would have made no difference. They always came through a window. The cops were never able to get usable prints. I would rather not have them dust for prints since it's a pain to clean that stuff up. Since getting an alarm (monitored) the break-ins have stopped. The alarm is on a 15 sec delay. Realistically the cops won't show up in time unless I'm lucky and they are nearby. The guys who broke in were not professions but usually kids getting stuff to trade for drugs with their dealer who would sell the items to a local pawn shop. I have the alarm because it usually makes the thieves go to the neighbors house without the alarm and I hated driving up to the house to find it's been hit. With the alarm I'll know right away.

8. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I am with KOA, my experience showed the preferred method for burglary is still brute force. Break a window or kick in a door. Keys, schmeys!!!

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Jan 25 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]380676[/snapback]</div>
    Again I agree with having an alarm with a loud siren preferably a Klaxon gp-6 (135dB) model [​IMG] & cellphone back-up dialer, incase they cut the phone line :)

The reason I like the Klaxon GP-6 is when it fires up it will wake the DEAD....! Ever hear a Air Raid Siren? :blink: :eek:
    Ok then you get the idea, wont have to many people ignor that alarm. if you want a subdude sound/look you can mount it in the attic. ;)

We have seen several instances where the neighbors ignored the siren due to false alarms and it was the real thing, no monitoring service. With a Klaxon you cant hide... :D

As for brute force, I see it on vehicle burglaries but hear they use keys as homes have zero lotlines and you break a windo the neighbor might hear it. Secluded homes yeah the pry a door or bust out a slider door.

10. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm with you. I have an alarm system, since it's way too easy to pop a window or force a door. Yeah, they might break in and get something in the few minutes they'll have, but the whoop-whoop siren is going to help hurry them out of there. Also, my theory is that I'll stop the brighter burglars who will see the sign for the alarm company and go looking for easier pickings down the street.

11. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 25 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]380718[/snapback]</div>
    You make a very good point... if you live in an area that doesn't have a high crime rate, mostly you're just paying for that sticker - the actual alarm may never be triggered because they'll just move on.

Of course, in a high crime area, the criminals will probably be a bit more daring and willing to do a quick smash and grab

12. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I happened to run into a locksmith after seeing this story on the news.He said that its not that easy to use this method and that the story is overblown .He said he has a difficult time using this method.
    We had an alarm installed after a recent burglary .The thieves had just kicked in the front door.The deadbolt was strong ,but the doorjam holding it was only about 1/2" toothpick of pine.
    The alarm installation cost about $1000 due to a lot of sensors ,but the monthly fees are fully offset by a reduction in homeowners insurance.Simple installations are free from some companies.
    After the burglary,we found out the neighborhood is a very popular area for thieves due to its seclusion.
    The police said the best deterrent is a dog.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Methinks it's time to get a dog.

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jan 24 2007, 09:30 PM) [snapback]380408[/snapback]</div>
    Woah, we used to do this in Jr. High, to Master Lock keys; there was a certain type of key which, if you filed off certain protrusions, would open any of the locks which accepted that style of key!

15. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    aww man.. why do i live near the only chick that knows how to do this...

I'll ask my locksmith friend about it. who knows.. i may make one.. hehe

any tips pinto girl?

16. jesart

jesart Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 25 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]380742[/snapback]</div>
    I have an ADT alarm system an a fully grown German Shepard inside. I think that will deter any buglar into my home. I would like to see them try it! :lol:

17. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Jan 25 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]380725[/snapback]</div>
    Look at the video in this link, using a bump key is very easy once you've practiced, maybe he didnt have the key filed down correctly... :huh:

I know using dummy cameras, with window stickers and the sign in the front and back yards are good deterrents "but you cant get around a big aggressive breed dog that likes to bark at everyone.

Just dont use the radioshack alarm stickers every one knows those are fake... :rolleyes:

I have a boxer, he was quiet until the sheperd got him to bark at everyone sound like a hound baying. and charges the fence when the sheperd is gone, the next dog I get will be a Rottie they just look intimidating, even if they are a a big teddy bear.(remember its all on how the dog is raised) ;)

18. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jan 25 2007, 05:08 PM) [snapback]380787[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for bringing this up Priusguy -- had never heard of it. If I had stuff worth stealing I would worry more. :blink:

I found the sites below particularly interesting (including comments from some locksmiths):
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/24/the-loc...-secure-part-i/
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/25/the-loc...-secure-part-2/

Evidently the story hit the US last August in Newseek
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14157179/

And this company claims to be making bump-proof locks
    http://www.medeco.com/about/whats_new/pr/bump.html

And here's the bumpkey version of priuschat
    http://www.bumpkeyforum.com/index.php

Frankly, I would hope this will lead to some lock re-design. At least this technique still requiring some sophistication, i.e., order key, file it, hit it correctly in lock, that may remove it from the hands of the more dunderheaded criminals.

Question: who should worry more about this, corporate/store offices or the average homeowner?

19. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Jan 25 2007, 04:38 PM) [snapback]380814[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the links MP!! :)

I find those in apartment complexes that all use the same style key to start worring the fastest... or homes built by the same construction company thus they buy & install their locks from one company...

20. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jan 25 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]380787[/snapback]</div>
    Im convinced.I think I will install a Medeco lock in my other place with no alarm.Thanks for the links.