1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Battery Low

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mauiman, Dec 3, 2015.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK well Gen2 uses CR2032 which is bigger and holds a lot more amp hours, but presumably they have reduced the power draw to allow using the smaller CR1632 in Gen3. I don't have a Gen3 but I assume we are expecting over 1-yr life. If you are getting way less, need to consider if there is something wrong, or you got bad battery (or it got discharged inadvertently). I just got some Panasonic 1632 from Amazon for a toy, they seem to measure about 3.3 volts new, so that is one check.

One thing about the lithium button batts, they do want to discharge fairly fast if there is a short in your hand or something. That's why it's a safety hazard if a youngster swallows a fresh Li button battery, the electric current will be fast enough to burn the throat if the battery gets stuck in one spot. If the batt keeps moving to the stomach, that's probably not a problem.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would expect a replacement Gen 3 battery to last as long as the original battery, 3 years.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    after 6 days, did you read any of the reply's?

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Saw interesting article by Texas Instruments saying "no-name" button battery can be 40-50% less capacity compared to SONY batt as the referee. If they put a capacitor in the circuit that helps get to 50%. Basically saying curcuit designer need to put a little capacitor in there to help out the no-name batts.

5. Mauiman

Mauiman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes I did read them all.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model: