1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Battery Warning

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Washingtonian, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Stopped at a freeway rest stop yesterday, and as the wife exited the car I noticed a warning saying something about low battery, change soon. Kind of scared me, as I thought it meant that my 12V battery was dying and I might not be able to start the car. Looked closer, and it said "key battery". That was the first time I had seen that warning, altho I do remember changing the key batteries about a year and a half ago. So today I broke out the manual and changed both batteries; mine and my wife's. The manual is very clear on the process (page 627). A new CR2032 battery is about 3.26V. My key was 3.01V and the wife's was 2.84V. So I guess the car was sensing that hers was low voltage. I was pleasantly surprised that the car will tell you when to change the key battery before it is totally dead.

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Easy to replace. Use the mechanical key to pry open the FOB using the groove exposed when you remove the mechanical key. Replace the coin battery and snap the FOB back together. Replace the key. My dealership will replace it for the cost of the battery.

3. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    One time I had to get a cheapo battery...the Duracel and Everready were out of stock. The cheapo worked fine, but not for very long. Since then I keep a spare quality battery in the glove box of each car.

4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    CR2032 is very common; any store that sells button batteries will have them. I get mine at Walgreens only because that is the most convenient for me. And even with a dead fob battery, you are not stuck. You can use the mechanical key to unlock the door, and hold the fob with the dead battery near the START button while you start the car in the usual way.