1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

key detected in vehicle - while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cantgoback, Oct 30, 2009.

1. cantgoback

cantgoback Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree, the latch and door switch should be synchronized. Isn't that the purpose of the door switch afterall? -- to report when the latch is not closed well. (If anybody understands, please explain why they would want to have them intentionally not synchronized.) In my opinion this is a design flaw, and their QA should have caught this bug. Maybe they are fully aware of it, but don't have a solution yet or simply under pressure to release product and view this issue as minor or corner case, or it could be defective parts. Anyways, it just means that from now on I have double check the hatch each time I close it. Things could be worse.

2. cantgoback

cantgoback Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's an interesting find... So is it your leg that is attenuating the signals to the key, or do you think the sensor signals are just weak in that area? I don't know where or how the key is sensed, or what the optimal position is, but I can try driving with the key under my left leg and see if that triggers the warning.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In the situation described here, the person's leg blocks the radio signal from the fob. The transponder is in the center console, so a left pocket puts the fob farther away and on the wrong side of the person's body.

The signal can also be blocked by interference from a cell phone if you keep both in the same pocket.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  4. doddato

doddato New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    JDCOLLINS 5 was spot on! Today, I had the same problem with my 2010 Prius V. I was returning home from from a Washtub car wash when I got the "key detected in vehicle" error with the yellow triangle !. The only way I could clear the error was to pull my car to the side of the road, turn off the power and restart the car. When I read JDcollins comments about the trunk lid not being fully closed, I went to check my car in the garage, and sure enough, the trunk lid was ajar. The carwash had not closed it properly. Hopefully, I won't have the problem again.

I really appreciate these Prius chat forums. Thanks! AugieD

5. phunkopathic

phunkopathic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This just happened to me yesterday while driving through STL. I hit the unlock/lock switch on the door and it cleared it, then it happened again... About 5 times in total. We stopped and ate but I didn't do anything with the doors because I hadn't read this. When I got back in, I drove for two hours without incidence. <shrug>

6. coop2911

coop2911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Exactly what happened to me - hatchback was not closed.

douglasjre likes this.
  7. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    douglasjre likes this.
  8. Martso

Martso New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Same thing happened last week on my brand new IV. The passenger had just touched the door handle which might have been a coincidence, when the interior lights flashed, yellow triangle appears, and the key detected message comes on. Did nothing but pull over and it went off. It has not happened since but that was not a good welcome to the world of Prius.

9. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Martso,

The passenger must have done more than "Touch" the handle. The situation you described can be recreated each and every time, by: Having the car ready and in "D" or "R". Open the drivers door or passengers door handle and you will get the message.....

This is not a flaw in the vehicle.

1 person likes this.
  10. Martso

Martso New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Their hand was just resting on the lower handle of the door, not the upper handle that opens it. The doors were locked and there was no "door ajar" light on. Maybe it was just a fluke and will not repeat.

11. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The only other thought, is pure coincidence whereby your Hatch is not totally secure, and it was a matter of coincidence that it displayed.

Ensure your Hatch is securely closed.;)

1 person likes this.
  12. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I realize this is resurrecting a 'dead thread,' and for that I do apologize. But this exact scenario happened to me today, and I'm about to go out and check the hatch closure and give it a drive with the other key just to check that possibility. This forum (and thread) have saved me a lot of angst! (Assuming it works out). I drove home from work on the bumpy streets of Baltimore and saw this message pop up. Disconcerting at first, but with the knowledge of you all, seems less so. Thanks.

(btw, I'll report back if it doesn't perform as advertised).

This forum sure beats going to a dealer or mechanic. PC rocks.

Cheers,
    ~T

13. PriusTex

PriusTex New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had the same problem today--while I was driving this display with the yellow triangle and "Key detected in vehicle" came on and went away four times. I pulled over and called the dealership, who said that the maintenance interval had not be reset the last time the car was in for maintenance. I didn't think that was the problem since the display did not mention maintenance, so I looked up this forum on my i-phone. Sure enough, the hatch was closed, but not all the way with both clicks. Opening and reclosing the hatch solved the problem.

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I had this problem and it so happened I had our (now ex) dog in the back. Naturally, with the dog there I was reluctant to slam the hatch shut. Never had the message again. It's an example of the Prius' cryptic messages. I've also had "Press Park when stopped" even after I started going. I think it's because I hadn't closed my door properly.

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think Toyota hired an ex-Microsoft employee to write those messages.

Tom

16. fordjf

fordjf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had the "key detected in vehicle" when I attempted to lock the door with the touch sensor on the handle. The key was in my pocket. I thought perhaps I was to close, I moved the key about 10 ft away and got the same thing. I could lock it with the key pad. After trying several things I charged off to the dealer, I showed the service manager and he just shook his head and said let's let our "Prius guru" take a look. about 5 min. later the "guru" came back with a purse and said is this yours? I said no but its my wife's and there is a stupid key in there. Sher had left her purse in the car the previous night. I felt like a fool.

1 person likes this.
  17. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have reported a few problems here before however this has never happened to me while I was driving. I can say with confidnce that the sks is one of the best thing about the Prius and I will bet that you guys probably accidentally hit or pressed the closed door button on the key while it is in your pocket.

18. shaun5stu

shaun5stu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank goodness for this forum! I just picked up my new Prius last night.. As I was driving it off the lot, the open door buzzer flashed, then went out, the yellow triangle appeared, and the message "Key detected in vehicle" appeared. I immediately turned around and went back to the service department at the dealer. I remember seeing the title of this thread, but I hadn't read it, so I didn't know what the problem was. The dealer took it in to be looked at. In the meantime, I looked up this thread on my iPhone and saw the consensus seemed to be that the hatchback was not closed tightly. When I dropped the car off, they checked the doors and re-closed the hatchback, so I figured they wouldn't find anything. Sure enough, they came back and said everything looked fine. The warning hasn't returned either. It was just a partially closed hatchback..

And for those who say the warning are misleading - I agree. But I think what is happening is this: The hatchback is closed enough for the door ajar buzzer to be disabled but not enough for the SKS system to see it is closed. That's why when I went over a bump, the door ajar light went on, then off. And the car is set to lock the doors when shifted out of park, so when I drove and the doors locked, the SKS saw a door was open and detected a key in the vehicle, hence that message.

1 person likes this.
  19. brendaj

brendaj New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you shaun5stu - very helpful!!

I've had my Prius since Saturday and yesterday this message appeared. Did as the manual said...so I thought...never occured to me to check the hatchback as I still consider that a trunk and not a door... yes, I'm am a blonde...

Now I get to tackle the extended warranty....appears I was taken to the cleaners on that one...paid 2495 for mine!!! Looks like I'll be cancelling that puppy and getting with Troy! Thanks to priuschat.com!!

Brenda

20. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Prius chat and congrats to your New Car?