1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Fob Buttons not working - but Smart Key does?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dangr, Apr 20, 2014.

1. dangr

dangr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi there! I have a 2005 prius, and up until about a week ago, my key fob worked fine for all functions. But now, I can still lock/unlock the car by pressing the buttons on the car or touching the handles, without taking my key out of my pocket. I can also start the car and drive without putting it in the dash. However, I can no longer lock/unlock the car by pressing the buttons on the fob itself, and when I press those buttons the red light does not go on on the fob, either. I've tried replacing the battery, but it didn't help.

What can I do to fix this? What has gone wrong? Thanks for your help, and let me know what other info you might need!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Find your second fob and see if the fob buttons work. If yes, then the first fob has impaired functionality and should be replaced if you need the buttons to work.

If the fob buttons don't work with the second fob then the car may need to be reprogrammed to accept the two fobs.

If you don't have a second fob then you should buy one as soon as possible so you are not left high and dry if you should lose the first fob or if it decides to totally die on you. The Toyota dealer cost to program a new fob is extremely high if you don't have a working fob that the car currently will recognize.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    are any of the buttons stuck on the fob? I have encountered instances where a lock or unlock buttons gets stuck.

Also many times the replacement "new" batteries are actually faulty, you may want to buy another battery at a different shop and try it. If you have a 2nd fob that is working, you can try and switch the battery and see if it'll work.

4. dangr

dangr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys, thanks for the advice! I checked my second fob which is working fine, so it's probably just something weird with the older on. Since it's been working for about 9 years now, it's probably high time that it breaks. I'll use the second one for now but take the first into a dealer when I get a chance!

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the fob is broken and not a battery related issue, I would suggest you buy a new key fob from online Toyota dealerships now at a cost of approximately $110. You can program the remote yourself with instructions listed on this forum.

If you lose the working one or if that one breaks, you would not be able to program a new one by yourself and would need Toyota to do this for you. In that case, it would cost you hundreds of dollars to get a replacement.

6. okiedokie

okiedokie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just experienced similar symptoms to yours. Changed the battery, no dice. Took new battery out to double check its voltage. When reinstalling the new battery I noticed the corner of the bezel around the red button (alarm button) was depressed slightly. Took a small blade screwdriver and popped that out and suddenly the red LED starts working and everything is back to normal.

7. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Depressed fob, snaps out of it! You put your finger on it!

All's well that ends well! (y)

8. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the problem is with the buttons, you might be able to fix it with a new case for about $12. I had a cracked button and just transferred the electronics to the new case. I bought mine on Amazon, but they are available from other vendors as well. The only difference I saw was that the new case had a matte finish and the back did not have a Toyota logo. I used the back from my old case and it fit perfectly.

9. Common Sense Dad

Common Sense Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi JC91006, You mention a "chicken dance" between two fobs as a way to move programming from one to another. It appears that I may have an "unprogrammed" fob, so I'd like to try that... I know what it is in mid-Western terms, but I don't have a polka band handy. Please describe the process.

10. windflyer

windflyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    "the corner of the bezel around the red button (alarm button) was depressed slightly. Took a small blade screwdriver and popped that out and suddenly the red LED starts working and everything is back to normal."

Just wanted to confirm -- okiedokie was spot on, this totally worked for me

And for anyone else who hadn't really noticed before, there's a small red LED on the corner of the fob; I think it blinks when you are in the sensor zone of the car (e.g. near the door handle), but it also blinks when you press any of the buttons (when they're functional). This makes it easier for verifying function on your kitchen table (so you don't have to keep running out to near the car to see if the buttons are working yet after changing the battery, etc.)

ILuvMyPriusToo likes this.