1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key fob chip for gen2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by khakijay, Feb 8, 2018.

1. khakijay

khakijay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently purchased a 2007 Gen2 prius, which is NZ new and not a japanese import. However, I was only given one key fob. The case was replaced by the dealer. I was looking at having a 2nd key fob and have looked at the chicken dance method of programming a new fob. Now my question is, is there anything I should be aware of when buying a a used key fob?

Some guy is is selling me one online but have asked that I verify if the circuit board inside my existing fob has a marking of 271451451-5300 so I opened my fob and the only marking I can see on the board is 61A331. I cannot see the marking from the black chip as it has been covered with some type of glue.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Does your vehicle have SKS, and do you need full SKS functionality?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. khakijay

khakijay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you. mine has no SKS functionality

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So you only need a second fob for starting the car by sliding it into the slot on the dash.

How much is the asking price and shipping for a used non-sks key fob?

5. khakijay

khakijay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it's 150NZD / around 110 US. But I think what he is selling me is for the Prius with SKS because of the chrome logo. Can I still use it? I assume it can start the car but not lock/unlock the doors?

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That price seems excessive for a used fob. Have you checked with any of the local pubs/nightclubs for lost and found keys, many are never claimed and just sit there for months/years.

Best to go with the appropriate fob for this vehicle, are there two (2) buttons under the steering column?

Check the dealer pricing first before buying used.

Here are the part #'s for the fobs, contact the local Toyota dealer and see what part number they offer you in NZ:

OEM Fob Part # for smart access is 89994-47061
    OEM Fob Part # for non-smart access is 89070-47180

With the thin back cover removed from my SKS fob there is a small sticker near the battery holder that says:

MDL# B31EG
    FCC ID: MOZB31EG
    IC: 2584A-B31EG

Your sticker could read something like this:

MDL# B21TG
    FCC ID: MOZB21TG
    IC: 2584A-B21TG

Online (not the dealer) I've seen two (2) NEW 'black logo' fobs for $99 with free shipping (not NZ of course, but you never know).

Also saw an ebay listing for a single NEW 'black logo' fob at $55 or so.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If all you want is the "plug in the dash" function, any Gen2 Prius keyfob should do. Black and Silver logo fobs both use the same RFID chip. Used/New is also unimportant.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW, my SKS fob only had the model number on that sticker which is B33EG.

I don't have access to a non-SKS fob til tonight, but will post that when I can.

To the OP, make sure you check what the part number is by phoning up a Toyota dealer, and then making sure you can get that part number. All key fobs are not equal. I also would not pay for a SKS fob as I'm sure the remote locking PCBs inside are different, and no point paying for the all that and then not being able to use it.

9. jbc157

jbc157 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you. I called Toyota but they can't give me a price until Monday but I am expecting it to be more expensive so I'll probably buy online. My fob was replaced by an aftermarket case by the dealer so no stickers. Only mark I can see is from the circuit board: 61A331. Here's some pics

Attached Files:

10. khakijay

khakijay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you. I called Toyota but they can't give me a price until Monday but I am expecting it to be more expensive so I'll probably buy online. My fob was replaced by an aftermarket case by the dealer so no stickers. Only mark I can see is from the circuit board: 61A331. Here's some pics 20180210_132618.jpg 20180210_132631.jpg

SFO likes this.
  11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would be interested in what price they quote you. The part number should be 89070-47281, which if you could confirm would be good too.

[EDIT] Yowser! Just been looking online (fleaBay) and genuine part (New) is NZ$229.85 (US$165.80) plus NZ$28.16 shipping. Another is NZ$268.52 + NZ$41.78 shipping. Pretty eye watering. It seems like only eBay and Amazon sellers come up when searching. Also came across a few -47281-84 parts which would be a "refurbished by Toyota" part, so should be cheaper.

PS Make sure you check the second 5 digits of the part number to make sure it is 47281, or you could end up paying for a pretty song for a useless fob.

#11 dolj, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    SFO likes this.
  12. khakijay

khakijay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yea a lot of things are pricey in here. cheapest I found with free shipping to nz is amazon at 60nzd. No mention of 47281 but says MOZB21TG which as @SFO have said this should match what I have, but this ones have 3 buttons and mine only have 2. Will it matter?

13. khakijay

khakijay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What a clever suggestion. I Never thought of that, will try this too!

SFO likes this.
  14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think that is correct information for us here. Thats the FCC ID (federal communications commission id), which would make it a US thing and it seems ours do not have any FCC certification, which in my mind would be correct. The Model Number on my non-SKS fob is B21TA. Again, only has the model no on the sticker.
    I think it will, you should try and find one with two buttons and the correct model number and part number.

khakijay likes this.
  15. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just took a look at a USA black logo circuit board and it's different from the image at #10. Seems to be the same chips, but a different arrangement.

SFO likes this.
  16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing you would not be able to tell by just looking is what frequency the radios TX/RX on. That would be my biggest concern buying a fob destined for a different market.

17. khakijay

khakijay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @dolj Toyota have given me a price of 290 NZD for the key fob. So I guess I'll have to go with this or 150 NZD for a 2nd hand fob from trademe

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want to have the remote lock/unlock features, you will need a new fob. You can then use the "Chicken Dance" to program it. You will need to have Toyota or a auto locksmith cut the key blank so you have a spare manual key.

If you don't care about the remote lock/unlock, you could get a used fob.

Just look at it from the point of view that you got the car $300 cheaper because it only came with one fob and this is part of the purchase price.

19. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't believe the new fob requirement applies to black logo fobs. Silver logo fobs have to learn the car id, which then locks them to just that vehicle. Black logo fobs are transmit only devices.

The rolling code does increment each time a key is pressed, so there could be a requirement that the black logo fob be low usage.

Does anyone have experience programming a used black logo fob? I suspect that it would work, both with Techstream and with the chicken dance. I just don't have any experience with this, so it is theory on my part. I do have a black logo fob that works in the dash of my silver logo car.

python777 likes this.
  20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks RobH, I have done a bit of research and it does seem that the black key fob (non-SKS) that is used should be able to be programmed to do the lock/unlock. Although in the same thread, a member tried the routine on a used fob and couldn't get the fob to program the lock/unlock, only the start with key inserted in slot (which is the only way to get the car to start on a non-SKS.)

In any case, if the OP wanted to try his luck, I would caution against getting anything other than a used "NZ new" fob, maybe from a wreckers, ask around the pubs and clubs or a seller on TradeMe (local auction site).

I would want confirmation of the part number also.

The post that has the procedure that should work is here:

Finally! How to program a non-SKS key/fob. Detailed! | Post #3 | PriusChat