1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Fob Drowned in Washer/Successfully Resurrected

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by William Redoubt, Aug 24, 2019.

1. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Washed my key fob along with my clothing. I immediately disassembled and liberally sprayed the parts with WD40. Patted off the excess and the fob works fine.

krmcg likes this.
  2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I put my Honda Fit keyless entry fob, through a wash cycle and a full tumble dry. No problems.- But just lucky.
    In fact, my fob looked as clean and new as it had in years.

Personally, I would of just let it dry out, and skipped the WD40 treatment. WD40 can actually attract dirt. There's no moving parts in a key fob.
    But if it works...you're lucky.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WD40 is actually a great water chaser and cleaner. And it tastes great when sprayed liberally on fresh avocados.

jb in NE likes this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a previous post identical - someone else did that.

Personally I wouldn't use WD40 as the residue goes sticky and attracts dust, can soften some rubbers and plastics - though my brother, an AutoElectrician quite liked it when people sprayed it on their ignition components - meant he got more work!!! Eventually.

For electronic gadgetry like that, they're better washed and dried. When I was Business Manager at a large school, we did that with a few MobilePhones - and also with my wife's which dropped in the washing machine. Our electronics technician advised to wash them in very hot water and allow to dry thoroughly - like a day or 2 - then re-assemble. They all came good.