1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key fob low battery warning after installing new battery

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zipy, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Zipy

Zipy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2016 Prius. Had low battery warning. Replaced battery and still had the warning. Tried the spare fob and same thing even with a new battery in it too. I even tested the batteries and had 3+ volts in both of them. I can’t believe that both fobs would have gone bad, especially since the spare fob has never even been used. Something in the receiver gone bad? Anyone ever encountered this? Of course it’s out of warranty and I imagine mega $$$$ to fix.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the 12v health

3. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you store the key fobs near the vehicle or inside the vehicle? They have little radios and will activate if they sense a vehicle nearby and will drain the battery pretty quick. (Look at your key fob when walking through a parking lot...when you walk by another Toyota a little red light will blink!)
    I change out our fob and garage remote batteries yearly...else they seem to go out in the middle of winter at the worst time possible!

4. Zipy

Zipy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    12 volt is good. Installed a new one about a year ago. As far as where I store the fob, pretty much the opposite end of the house from the car.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't be the 12v then, they never go bad that fast, or lose voltage for any reason.

try disconnecting the neg for a minute to reset everything

ColoradoBoo likes this.