1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key fob not locking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jerrysota, Nov 6, 2021.

1. jerrysota

jerrysota New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello All,
    Just got a 2007 Pruis from a private seller and I'm having trouble locking and unlocking the car with the key fob.
    I replaced the battery in the fob but just a red light flashes when I press the button.
    I am able to lock and unlock all doors from the inside.
    I checked the 12V battery with a little jump starter I have and it's saying the battery is still good.
    Kinda feel like I tried everything online, I do not have the smart key button, I've tried inserting and opening the door and starting the engine trick but it didn't work.

If anybody had something similar please let me know what worked or if you think might know what it could be please let me know.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and welcome to PriusChat.

FYI, your posts are moderated until you have posted 5 or more times and so will not appear to anybody until that happens. This is a spam-bot countermeasure.

Have you owned Prii before or is this your first experience owning a Prius?
    What is this trick of which you speak?

Did the locking and unlocking all work before the sale while you were inspecting the car?

Did you check the 'new' CR2032 battery with a voltmeter to confirm it was 3.3 V or above before installing it in the fob?

#2 dolj, Nov 6, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    SFO likes this.
  3. jerrysota

jerrysota New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First-time Prius owner, it's called the "Chicken Dance" but I'm pretty sure you need a key fob that is functioning for the trick to work.
    The seller did lt me know that the key didn't lock, since I'm able to unlock and lock the car manually I thought "Ok no big deal, I'll be able to get the key to work eventually".
    I don't have a voltmeter but it's just a standard CR2032 battery so I don't think that's what's wrong.

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    IF.......one of the electric lock actuators (think solenoid) has failed, which is fairly common, then it usually makes a loud click and then "falls back" to it's previous position.

Without having a second key FOB, you have no way to know it the FOB is bad.......or maybe it doesn't match the car.
    You likely will need help from a locksmith or a dealer to sort it out.

jerrysota likes this.