1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key fob not working, any help?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cosmo64, Mar 27, 2016.

1. cosmo64

cosmo64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    My daughter picked up an 08 Base, option package #1 yesterday. It has 166K miles and checked out okay by me (coolant moving by inverter pump, no signs of water in spare tire well...etc.). The car only had 1 key fob (non-SKS) wit no spare key or fob. The key is uncut but the remote starts and runs the car. The remote will not lock or unlock the doors. The first thin I did was replace the CR2032 battery with no change. It still operated the car but not the locks. I noticed that the little red light wasn't coming on when pushing the buttons and found the red panic button was stuck. Took care of that and thought all was good until I tried to lock and unlock the doors again. Nope! Light comes on, works in slot to start the car, but not the locks. Can anyone guide me to the next step?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! if it has an uncut key, perhaps it's not the correct fob, or programmed incorrectly.

cosmo64 likes this.
  3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can fix that with a new fob and the Mini VCI, a cable that plugs into a laptop and gives you full dealership software options, including key programming. Costs about $25. Or you could go to the dealer and have them do it.

Perhaps a locksmith can cut the key if you can get the lock code--traditionally you have to pull a cylinder which means removing door trim. Not sure about the Prius.

cosmo64 likes this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt this is the OP's problem, but actually would like opinions anyway.
    I recently got a new Cell Phone.
    I carry my Cell Phone and Fob in the same pocket.

After getting this new cell phone, I got in my Prius-door did unlock-but when I pressed power, I got "Key Not Detected". I was able to remove the fob from my pocket and hold it near the power button and it worked.

Then in the course of the next few days, I noticed the whole system acting a little suspect. I think I got the "Key Not Detected" message one more time, and had a time or two where when approaching the vehicle the system seemed slow to recognize me.

Since I'm approaching 3 years of ownership, I thought I'd try the "easiest" answer first and simply changed the Fob Battery. Actually I did both, the one I use and the back-up. The new battery is in, and it seems to be working fine. BUT...I got into my Prius and once again got the "Key Not Detected" message, waited a few seconds tried powering up again, and was fine.

I've since just gone from carrying my Cell Phone and Fob in the same pocket, to now carrying them in separate pockets and so far everything is fine.

So I'm hoping it's just interference from my new cell phone. That it's not some early signs of a bigger problem.
    Kind of sucks if it is the cell phone because I'm committed to it now, and I need to be able to carry both at the same time.

Sorry, I apologize, --probably should of started a separate thread, as I don't think this has anything to do with the OP's issue.

But just wondering if anyone else has experienced Cell Phone/Fob interference issues.

#4 The Electric Me, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    cosmo64 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i agree, it's the cell phone. especially since you proved it by keeping them apart. just give some thought to the area they are now trying to 'talk' through.:cool:

cosmo64 likes this.
  6. cosmo64

cosmo64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Well, it's definitely not cell phone interference with the proximity fob because it isn't an SKS equip car. I did go out and try the fob again without my cell phone with the same no lock and no unlock result. Since her fob key is uncut, I'll take it to the local dealership tomorrow to have it cut with the code they have on record through TIS.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The key is probably not the correct key for the car. Most likely the dealer will have to reseed the car to the keyfob, then everything will work properly again. If you choose to reseed, it would be a good opportunity to get a 2nd key programmed.... for no additional charge

cosmo64 likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe the stuck button caused some damage.

cosmo64 likes this.