1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Fob Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by raju_vegan, Jan 12, 2012.

1. raju_vegan

raju_vegan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2007 prius and two key fobs, both of the silver logo variant. I'm the only owner for the car, and I got both keys at the same time from the dealer when I bought the car. There's been no additions to the car (i.e. no aftermarket add-ons).

A few weeks back I noticed both keyfobs were reducing in their range. After a while I couldn't unlock / lock using the keyfob. About a week ago I noticed that I had to start putting the keyfob into the car, even though the SKS was on.

Finally I had some time last night and replaced the batteries in the fobs, and now they don't seem to work 100%.

What I can do:
    Use the key fob to lock/unlock via the push buttons.

What I can't do:
    Start the car

Thinking that I might need to re-program the SKS - I read the ]Finally! How to program a SKS key fob with SKS functionality" thread, but I'm not sure which of the two keys is the master key. I've tried the instructions but can't seem to get past step 9. I've tried to confirm my keyfobs but I don't get the confirmation.

Also the 12 V seems to be dying (dimmer lights, etc)

Any other ideas on what to try.

Again - i have the two original keys that came with the car, and since i replaced the C3032 battery i can't start my car.

2. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PC raju_vegan:

I think your focus should be on that 12 volt auxiliary battery. You can try charging it, but likely at the age of yours it should be replaced. Likely your key fob problems will go away.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Failed fob batteries will not reset your key fobs. New batteries will make them work without going through the pairing process. Look elsewhere for your problem; most likely the 12V battery.

Tom

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +2, get your 12v changed.

By the time the battery starts to dim lights, it is way beyond dead. Do you have a voltmeter that you can probe the terminals and check the voltage?

If this is your only car, then you will need to find a way to get a new battery. Assuming you can wait for online delivery, that's an option. Intown, few places carry JDM batteries apart from the Toyota dealership. So to get intown by driving you will need a jump start.

If jumping with a conventional car, have them TURN OFF their car so you are just jumping 12v to 12v not alternator to 12v. You don't need much juice, just enough to flip some relays and prime the brake pump. Also double, triple, and quadruple check the terminal polarity before connecting. Reverse polarity in a conventional car is bad. Reverse polarity in a Prius is catastrophic ($2k to $4k in damage if you fry the inverter). There are jump terminals under the hood.

5. raju_vegan

raju_vegan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the advice.

Jumping it worked - it just happen to coincide with changing the key fob batteries.

This was my second prius (the first one I had from 2001 to 2006) and I never needed to jump either.