1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

KEY FOB Problems...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rodster, May 2, 2020.

1. Rodster

Rodster New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys, I have a 2003 Gen 2 Prius and a little problem which even my Toyota-Dealer struggles...

- Wireless door lock and unlock don‘t work
    - SKS doesn‘t work
    - Chickendance causes a lock/unlock cycle twice when I press the lock and unlock button simultanously
    - Manual lock and unlock with key works only on drivers-door; other doors have to be locked/unlock from the button on the drivers door..
    - 12V battery tested and good
    - 12V disconnected/reset etc done
    - Keyfob (silver logo) red light flashes when pressing buttons
    - bought a new Keyfob from my Toyota dealer; tried to program it; but remote and sks doesn‘t respond... only the double cycle while pressing lock and unlock in the reprogramming procedure
    - SKS button works and is in the right position
    - no errors on techstream
    - wireless works as it looks twice in reprogram mode
    - SKS seems to work as recognize button on/off under the steering wheel

HELP!

Thanks!

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean a 2004?

How many key fobs does Techstream report are registered to the car?

Have you tried deleting all keys except this one (the one you are using to make the car IG-ON or READY)?

3. Rodster

Rodster New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two registered keys;

No, haven’t tried... not sure if the old key is the original smart key...
    If I delete all registered keys, if smthg happens with the old (maybe not original) smart key.. is it possible to start the car if procedure fails?

Thx!

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are still 3 key slots free, so no need to do a delete at this stage.

I just reviewed your OP and given that you said, "Wireless door lock and unlock doesn‘t work; SKS doesn‘t work," you will not be able to use the Chicken Dance to program the new key. You need to have a fully functional key fob for it to be successful. The same procedure (as the Chicken Dance) can be done in Techstream, but it also needs to have a fully functional key fob to be successful.

I would think the Toyota dealer needs a to take a different approach (which I believe is even more expensive) to get SKS and remote lock/unlock working. Seeing as your dealer doesn't seem to know how to do this, maybe try another dealer or find an auto security accredited locksmith to help.