1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Fob Questions (Yes, I've read the other posts)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Seth Church, Apr 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Seth Church

Seth Church New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,
    I have a new (new to me) 2006 prius and it came with one keyfob. I put a new battery in because the fob stopped working a few days after having it and now the fob does nothing. No lock/unlock, no keyless entry, and no remoteless start. I am wondering two things
    1) can i fix this? I have seen how to connect fobs if you have an old one, but I only have this one.

2) If i can't fix this, is there a way to connect a generic lock/unlock remote to my prius just to do the doors? I don't mind putting the key in the ignition but having to pull the tiny metal key out to unlock the doors is pretty annoying.

Thank you!

2. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you tried inserting the fob into slot in dash?

If so, does the car start (after inserting fob into slot)?

3. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming the key fob starts the car as mentioned by @ydpplqbd , you could get a standard Axxess key copy milled at home depot, #35 in case of my 2005, and attach it to key fob with a ring. You can then use physical key to lock unlock and insert fob in slot to operate the car.

Axxess+ #35 Toyota Universal Key Blank-88027 - The Home Depot

You may want to confirm the key section matches. I have done it three times.

You may want to check the battery again though, if it is a good battery and installed correctly. I have had bad experience with some cheap chianese batteries bought on Ebay and Amazon.

4. Seth Church

Seth Church New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys- sorry i need to clarify. yes i can start the car with the fob inserted and can also unlock the car with the metal key. Im wondering if i can get a generic fob that will allow me to remotely unlock/lock the door?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the battery right side up?

6. Seth Church

Seth Church New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, the red light lights up when i push the button on the remote. Only thing i can think of is that something went wrong with the computer in the car. May take it over to the dealership but that means $$$

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seems odd that it quit a few days after buying. i don't think generic fob will work, and a new fob may not work unless you have a working fob. but i'm not positive, gen 2 and 3 are different

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like you will need a reset, reseed, and add the key back to the car. You might as well buy a spare from an online Toyota dealer (just make sure it has the correct logo color on the back – silver for SKS; black for non-SKS). It should set you back $110-$150 for the genuine OEM. If you give that to the dealer, they can add it at the same time.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you already checked the 'Key' button under the steering wheel?

Raytheeagle and dolj like this.
  10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't mention this, because he said there was no [remote] lock/unlock (which should still work with SKS disabled), and he also commented that the red light illuminated when any buttons were pressed – eliminates stuck button(s).

But, it wouldn't hurt to check.