1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key fob randomly dead, car is dead but interior lights dimly blink

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MattyD., Jun 8, 2021.

1. MattyD.

MattyD. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Drove my 2009 prius this morning, parked it all day and went to drive away this evening and the key fob didn't unlock the car. Manually unlocked it with key and there's a few lights dimly blinking on the dash, everything else is dead. Won't start. I crawled in the back and unplugged the 12v battery for 10 seconds and no difference. I will go back and do it again but leave it unplugged for a whole minute.

After searching around the forum I'm guessing that I need a new 12v battery? Or maybe invertor pump? There has been a noise that I thought might be the cooling pump coming from the lower driver side by the wheelwell area.

Any input would be amazing!!

2. MattyD.

MattyD. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unplugged 12v again, no improvement. I did notice the lights are blinking nonstop, even the doors are shut. I think this points to the 12v battery?? I'll attach a picture of the battery.

Attached Files:

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Initially, just charge the existing 12V battery. Or even begin with a jumpstart (caution is necessary, as user error here can be very expensive.)

After that, 12V battery replacement may, or may not, be needed, that remains TBD.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Why not use a digital multimeter (or "digital volt-ohm meter") to TEST what the voltage is at the battery and at the jump start point under the hood?

A weak 12V is very likely- esp since I haven't heard anything good about yellow top batteries. But you should confirm what's going on before proceeding.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Samuel Williams Jr likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep... YellowTops are the worst 12v batteries. They were industry leaders decades ago, then they got bought out and new owner has zero quality control standards. The reason they're commonly used in Prius is that only thing a 12v does in a Prius is turn the computers on and flip some relays that turns the hybrid battery on then that's it. After that the car's hybrid system sends a 14v charge to the battery till the car is turned off.

So Prius owners only use their 12v battery for a second or two each time they start the car, which makes for an easy target to sell a garbage battery to... Here's the one I recommend. It's 55amp-hour, which is 15amp-hours more than the ones they sell for Prius at auto parts stores.

I've had a 12v like this in my Prius for 10 years without issue: https://ebay.us/vN4JsP Also pics below are the hardware you need to mount your terminals to this battery.

Attached Files:

Samuel Williams Jr likes this.
  6. MattyD.

MattyD. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies so far, I just realized one of the lights has a key on it that is flashing. I ran to my dad's place and got a battery charger, hooked it up to the jump post by the fuses and not just the light pictured is consistently flashing. No other lights. When I stick the key in the slot, it stops but nothing happens when I press the power button. Also no other lights are coming on, not even the headlights. Would replacing the battery in my fob do anything??

7. MattyD.

MattyD. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what is blinking now that the battery charger is plugged in.

Attached Files:

8. MattyD.

MattyD. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will definitely use this info, I just assumed yt was the best but that's very good to know, orrielys has them priced $50 high then whatever they had in stock.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks like the engine immobilizer light, which should be flashing whenever the car is shut down normally. It doesn't indicate any problem, and is not the cause of your dead battery (at least in the space of a few days or weeks).

Think of it as a cheap alarm indicator, following in the footsteps of fancier car alarms that have flashing indicator lights meant to scare away thieves. Lots of cars have this built in now, even if it indicates no more security than a simple fob-based electronic key system.

10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When you put the key fob in the slot it does something that doesn't use the battery in the fob. The security light stops flashing so the car recognizes the key. Now you need to measure voltage to see what's going on. If the headlights don't work then the voltage is really low or possibly you hooked the charger backwards and popped some uses?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If your battery is dead enough......or BAD enough......simply connecting a charger is NOT enough to make everything functional immediately. Even with a fairly high capacity charger, at least a half hour likely will be required.

You also could have a loose main battery connection.

12. MattyD.

MattyD. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input guys, it was just a dead 12v battery. I charged it up the next morning at a different Amp setting and it fired right up. Drove it for a few hours then took it to get tested at Batterys+ and they said it's working great, they did quote me $220 for a new agm + about $50 extra to install it. Iv driven it off and on for 2 days now with no issue. I guess I must have left a few lights on for a tad to long. Emergency averted!

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep an eye on it, in case it is seriously wounded. It takes very many hours of driving (or sitting in Ready) to full charge a Prius 12V battery. Many ordinary driving patterns are not sufficient to keep it fully charged, so an occasional topping up with a battery tender may help, and extend its life.

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^This. +1

15. MattyD.

MattyD. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input, I am a delivery driver so I do drive an average of 700 miles a week, I would think that's enough?

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    700 miles in a single day, will get it fully charged.

Spread over a full week, with many stops? Probably not completely full, but it will be fairly close, considerably better than the average Prius owner.

17. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No reason to guess.
    The battery and the charging voltage can easily be tested.