1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Fob Remote question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by donzoh1, Nov 9, 2020.

1. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My 2007 is non-smart and I currently have a non-smart fob that works to start the car but not to unlock or lock doors. I don't know much about this car's history or whether this is an original fob but tech stream says it has five programmed remotes which I think is the maximum. Is this likely a problem to be fixed by simply changing the fob shell/buttons or is there something wrong with the fob internally? I did change the battery which didn't improve things.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The non-SKS fob uses an rfid chip in the case cover, so be very careful if you swap cases. Make sure to remove the rfid chip from the old cover and install it I the new one, or you'll be in serious trouble. When the fob is inserted into the slot, the car recognizes the rfid chip and allows the startup sequence. If it doesn't recognize a 'paired' rfid, start up is a no-go. So that's the good news. If the car starts, then the fob you have is one of the 5 showing in techstream. The system is almost bullet-proof.

If none of the buttons on the fob are causing the appropriate function to occur on the car, then there is either a failure of the fob (or someone put the working rfid chip into a different fob, whose transmission is not being recognized by the car) or a failure of the receiver system in the car. When you press a button on the fob, does the small red led in the corner light up? If you hold the fob in your hand with the 'lock' icon at the top and the 'alarm' icon at the bottom, the red led is just to the right of the 'lock' icon. It blends in perfectly with the black case and is almost invisible until it lights. If it flashes when you press a button, then it's typically a good assumption that the fob is working. Many auto parts stores have displays that will allow free testing of fobs to verify they are actually transmitting.

SFO and donzoh1 like this.
  3. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The red led light comes on whenever a button is pressed on the fob. I did go to Oreilly Auto and they had a fob tester that showed no transmission when the red led light was activated. The RFID works in the fob so I believe at one time, the fob probably worked properly to lock or unlock doors. At this point, can the fob be made to work properly by getting just a new case or is there likely a problem in the internal fob circuit board so that the whole fob must be replaced?

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you believe the test results from the tool at oreilly's then the circuit board (key fob transmitter) is bad. If you don't believe it then the fob transmitter MIGHT not be programmed to the car.

Whatever you do I would suggest that you do whatever it takes to get a second key properly programmed. It can get expensive and time consuming to try and deal with an "all keys lost" situation.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I tend to believe the tester at Oreillys. The clerk tried his fob and the tester reacted to it so unless the prius fob is in an unusual frequency range, my fob is not transmitting at all. Now, my question is whether the fob could be improperly programmed if the rfid chip in the same fob works to start the car. My guess would be that it's an all or nothing thing with programming so that when the fob is properly programmed, it works both for start and door unlock, assuming the transmitter is working. Either way, I'm going to get a new fob programmed so that I have an extra one.

6. lexidium

lexidium Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought you could remove all previous programmed keys in techstream . . . .

7. datsunrobbie

datsunrobbie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Check out this thread How to Program a New Key Fob for Full SKS Functionality | Page 33 | PriusChat

When I bought my 2008 Prius it already had 5 keys programmed. I had two fobs. One worked properly, the other would only open the doors. I got a new fob from a dealer and was able to clear the other fobs and program the new one using the instructions in the thread above. It also worked for programming a fob from a third-party, so I now have 3 that are working, and did not have to use tech stream to get it done.

donzoh1 likes this.
  8. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    i think that’s true but the fob i currently have works to start the car so i don’t really want to remove it. i don’t know how to tell which one it might be in the list.

9. lexidium

lexidium Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When my old prius was in an accident, I kept the key.
    I got another prius same year and specs and after a while the key stopped opening the door but would start the car.
    I programmed my old key in techstream so that it did both. Then I programmed the one that had stopped working so now I have two.
    Try and get a second hand key from same model, same year. I don't think different years would work. Who knows - you might be lucky.

donzoh1 likes this.
  10. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So you’re thinking it would need to be same year, not just same generation?

11. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    One thing i’ve heard is that used fobs can’t be programmed to another prius unless they’re re-virginized. do not know how that would be done.

12. lexidium

lexidium Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I definitely did it by following the youtube vid:

2nd gen Prius both the same year, T spirit.

13. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Does anyone know whether the chicken dance will work to program a new remote if there are already 5 programmed in the car? Also, the fob I have now only works to start the car but not to lock or unlock. It will not transmit. Does this mean the chicken dance won't work for programming those functions?

#13 donzoh1, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it won't, you will have to do a different 'Chicken Dance' to clear all keys except this one (being the key that is in the slot).

You can then do the first part of the regular 'Chicken Dance' to program the new key to start the car, but as your current only key does not lock/unlock the car, you will not be able to program those functions.

To get both keys fully functional you will need the services of a competent auto locksmith or a competent dealer.

15. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for that info. Would Techstream be usable to program the new key? If so, is there a way to tell which of the five existing programmed keys in Techstream corresponds to the old key so I don't accidentally delete that one?

16. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Final success! I was able to use Techstream 12.20.024 to program the immobilizer chip and the door unlock remote functions. Curiously, the chip is programmed in the Immobilizer tab and the fob remote functions are programmed in the Body section. I ran into a snag at one point and then figured out that while the car was on, the Ignition was not on. I was quite happy that this all worked as the only fob that came with the car could start the car but not lock or unlock doors. I initially tried the chicken dance but was not successful with that so I don't know whether I had completed the correct steps correctly.

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you do not have a fully functioning remote you cannot use the 'Chicken Dance' That sequence is for adding another (brand new) key fob when you have at least one other existing fully functional key fob.

Did you delete all the other registered key fobs?

Do you care to share the steps that you did to make your existing key operate the lock/unlock functions?

18. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    In Techstream, it said I had 0 programmed fobs. After I finished the programming, it said I had 1 programmed fob. So, I'm guessing the prior owner had any registered fobs deleted? I did not personally delete any fobs. The fob that came with the car still does not operate the door lock or panic alarm although I did replace the battery and the red light flashes on the fob. It also failed the transmit test at the auto parts store. My new fob from Amazon doesn't have a Toyota Logo so who knows how long it will last.