1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key FOB Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zworkon, Oct 14, 2016.

1. zworkon

zworkon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Everyone,

My key FOB is worn out (rubber cover missing on 2 buttons), is there a cheap replacement and do I have to bring it to the dealer to get programmed? Is it something I can do on my own?

Thanks,

Bob

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if by cheap you mean less than $400., then yes. see the threads here for details, but you need to buy a new fob on ebay, and then go through some kind of programming with the car to make it work.

see the sticky by member @usnavystgc , all the best!(y)

zworkon likes this.
  3. zworkon

zworkon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you!!! :)

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pleasure.

5. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. You can get a replacement shell for the fob for less than $20. Here is a link to one on Amazon but eBay has them as well.

You just have to crack open your old fob (carefully) and transfer the circuit board and RFID chip over to the new case.

zworkon and bisco like this.
  6. zworkon

zworkon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that is cheap!! Thanks!!!

7. EnTerpRising

EnTerpRising Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    2007 Prius
    The unlock button on my FOB stopped working a while ago. No big deal - use the valet key. Well, now my key ring has broken the small plastic hoop on the valet key. So I'm in a world of hurt. My biggest fear is that I don't securely re-insert the key and it falls out somewhere.

Are Prius keys available for cutting at local hardware stores, etc.? For cheapness, I'm guessing it's less expensive to purchase a key online than a dealer. Can hardware stores cut the key (on a standard key cutter)? Or is this something I definitely want to do at the dealership?

Looking ahead, I'll consider buying a new FOB. What is the cheapest FOB programming? I've read on other threads here that people can take a chance with their local locksmiths, as they may now have various gadgets and software to re-program. Is this correct?

Last I recall, it would be well over $100 to get a replacement FOB/key done by a local dealer.