1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key fob replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Omerfaruq, May 16, 2023.

1. Omerfaruq

Omerfaruq New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Hi all! I bought a prius 2006 with sks. But the fob only works when I insert it. Even the remote lock unlock doesn’t work.

If I buy a fob online, can I self program it to sks?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, you can't.

You will need the dealer or an authorized auto locksmith to delete all keys and add at least one brand-new SKS (silver-backed logo) key fob. You can save some money by buying a silver logo fob from an online dealer (like Olathe Toyota Part in KS) who regularly have good sale prices on genuine Toyota parts. The part number for the SKS fob is 89994-47061, currently $178.76 marked down from an MSRP of $254.14.

You need a fully functional key fob to add another key. Adding is easier (and therefore cheaper) that an "all keys lost" scenario.

Your situation has been caused by the previous owner adding a used (probably non-SKS (black logo)) key fob when they still had one other working fob.