1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key fob straight answers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JIM777, May 18, 2018.

1. JIM777

JIM777 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Have a SKS key fob with silver logo will not work in slot. Can I make it work in the slot also can I program a new key with it and if so can I use an old used fob need some straightforward answers appreciate it have a great day.
    PS I do have techtreem.
    Thanks

2. PAUL SCHULTZ

PAUL SCHULTZ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The only way to do a home DIY key fob programming is to do the "chicken dance" method with a new, never programmed fob if you want full SKS functionality. If you want a fob that only works when physically inserted in the key slot then I believe the first part of the 2-part chicken dance will work with a used key fob. But, you should check the chicken dance thread to be certain.

What made the fob not react/work with your vehicle? Is the fob battery OK? Also, sometimes old fobs get dirty and the rubber cover needs to be plucked with a needle to release the underlying button. In this situation, fobs malfunction because they always have a button "firing" in the on/active position. From my recolleciton for some reason the panic button seems to be the most prevalent "stuck button".

A couple months ago I read the entire chicken dance thread and watched some of the chicken dance videos and was able to program a new SKS fob for my car. There is so much info in that thread that I am sure I might have missed something. I recommend you go to that thread and read up.

Good luck!

Paul.

SFO likes this.
  3. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SKS remotes can lose functions. I have a 2005 Prius with four SKS remotes. Two of these remotes have lost varied functions.
    • The first remote will unlock and lock the car, but it will not start the car,
    • the second remote will start the car, but it not unlock or lock the car.
    No amount of Chicken Dancing was able to recover these lost functions. I had to purchase a new fob from the dealer and programmed via the Chicken Dance. I have since retired the partially working remotes to a drawer. You never know when you'll need them... like a couple of weeks ago.

The better half laundered her keys with the Prius fob attached. Of course, it was the newest fob.. so much for that $150 part. When she realized the mistake she brought me the fob. I removed the battery and let it dry out a few days. After reassembly, all seemed fine. The now-clean remote would lock and unlock the car and start the car via SKS.

Thinking all was well and I'd just saved $150, I walked into the house. A few minutes later the Prius horn started to sound and the lights flashed. The panic mode was kicking in. I repeated the process a couple of times trying to pin down the problem. When I pulled the battery from the wife's key fob the problem stopped. It seemed that the panic mode was still engaging after turning off the car and walking away.

Humm, what to do, I asked myself. I thought about splitting the remote case to see if the panic button was physically damaged. Then I remembered that I have not had good luck gluing these halves back together. So, I waited for another week and a half and tried out the fob. it worked.

My guess was that there was still some residual moisture in the remote engaging the panic mode. After an additional week and a half of dry time, the problem was cured, I was saved $150 and the wife is happy to have her fob back.

Alls well that ends well.