1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

key fob through laundry

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by lenjack, Apr 12, 2017.

1. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2010 level 3. No way to blame it on wife. Went through washer and dryer. Did not try it. I have it opened up. What are the steps to try to revive? I know it can be done.

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Step (1) remove battery, (2) dry everything (might involve putting in sealed jar overnight with dessicant (moisture-absorbing (silica-gel) pack)), (3) fit new battery, (4) purchase new fob - sorry, but micro-electronics and water (particularly with added detergents) don't mix very well! :(

Edit: Actually, start off by rinsing thoroughly with clean/distilled water, then dry with tissues, or a hair-dryer, then see above - good luck!

#2 WilDavis, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  3. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've opened it up, taken it apart. No corrosion evident. It appeared dry, but I flooded the parts with 91% alcohol, and let them dry. Battery tests good (a surprise). Will leave it opened overnite, and reassemble tomorrow, and try it. High hopes.

4. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    id let it dry out several days before attempting to use it, if you can get some of the silica gel packets (those little packets that are found in boxes when you buy stuff and say do not eat on them) , put some of those if you can find them in a plastic bag with the fob for a few days

WilDavis likes this.
  5. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Put back together this AM. Worked perfectly. Really surprised battery made it through.

6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for testing that for us. my coworker confirmed usb flash drives do well in laundry (and drying) too. but some other coworkers were not as lucky with smartphones.