1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

key gouging

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by san mateo, Jul 10, 2006.

1. san mateo

san mateo New Member

they go for about $9k - $11k on ebay depending on condition

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Jul 12 2006, 04:30 AM) [snapback]284887[/snapback]</div>

alas, mine is white (and arrives tonight, apparently...bated breath).

...and as to whether i am a good family. more like dr. frankenstein. i have all sorts of evil plans: EV button, mabye even plug-in charging of extra battery...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ostrich @ Jul 12 2006, 07:43 AM) [snapback]284976[/snapback]</div>

2. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just purchased 2 keys. I only used one. I'll give you a good deal on it.

You can program it manually, but not to with with SKS (keyless entry) You must take it to the dealer for that. Call around on the price. One dealer wanted $150 EACH! I called one in the near by city. $45 out the door. I got the mechanical key cut for free at my local hardware store. But since you don't have the original you will have to replace the locks on the door too. I'd suggest trying to find the orginal owner and find the original dealer that sold it. There is a numbe attached to the keys when you get them. If they have that then they can program the keys for you.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The little silver tag is not for programming the keys. Nothing will help with that.

But the little silver tag is for cutting the small physical key. So if you can get that you don't have to replace the locks.

Tracing the owner if possible and contacting them on the slight chance they have an original fob with the silver tag is certainly worth the effort. Especially if it saves paying for a new ECU and door locks.

4. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 12 2006, 04:18 PM) [snapback]285154[/snapback]</div>
    Really? Oh I thought that was for the key fob...I thought it sounded odd...but..oh well. Learn something new every day.

5. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ Jul 12 2006, 08:09 PM) [snapback]285417[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, the numbers on the silver tag are not a serial number--they are the code for how high or low the cuts in the key are.

6. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hey, the suspense is killing us!

Did you get the car? Did you find the fobs?

7. san mateo

san mateo New Member

title and keys were in the glove box! whew! now to begin the process of assessing the mechanical condition. battery is dead or fuse blown (no interior lights, etc.), radiator and fan dead for sure, etc.

i'm going on vacation for a while, and will dive in after that. i am sure you-all will hear form me then!

thanks for the support so far.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 14 2006, 09:19 PM) [snapback]286594[/snapback]</div>

8. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(san mateo @ Jul 17 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]287704[/snapback]</div>
    So glad the keys and title were there! Wish you luck with the mechanical end of things.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Boy, did you get lucky.

Now if there are two fobs...put the fob with the little silver tag in a safe place in the house. And it wouldn't hurt to have a third fob/key made once the car is up and running.

Please keep us updated on your progress after you return from vacation.

And post a pic too!

10. mootsman

mootsman New Member

Sounds like a salvage title and if so -- no warranty at all.