1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Not Detected?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 72fordgts, Feb 16, 2014.

1. 72fordgts

72fordgts Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    There have been a couple of incidents where the key fob has not been detected by the car, even though it is in the car. When it did this, I also noted the unlock button on the fob didn't work. It only does it a couple of times then all of a sudden it seems to work. There is no message for a low battery (it's not that old).

Any ideas?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How old is the battery/fob?

The battery only lasts about 2 years on average.

Another possibility is that something is interfering with the RFID signal, most commonly a cellphone. Keep your cellphone or any other radio device separate from the fob.

SCH-I535

3. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And make sure you don't also have a FOB with you from a different vehicle that uses a similar "smart key" technology.

If nothing else is found, I'd be tempted to replace the battery. They are cheap.

4. 72fordgts

72fordgts Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    The Fob is the same age as the car, 2010. The key may have been in the same pocket as my cell phone, so that could be it. The battery is only about 6 months old.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Try to keep your fob in a separate pocket from your cellphone.

I clip my fob on my beltloop using a small carabiner type clip. ;)

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you get a 'key not detected' message on the MFD, while driving, it is often a completely non-obvious warning that the hatch is not securely shut. Even if the hatch seems closed, open and firmly re-close it.

This fix applies only if you get the above message on the MFD while driving. Other symptoms, such as buttons not working or inability to open or start because it can't read the key, likely stem from battery or interference issues.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be your 12 volt battery is on the way out.

8. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree with the suggestion of FOB being close to cellphone. It happens to me when my phone is on my belt and the FOB in the is in the pocket very close to it. And only then. Once the FOB's battery went to be flat I've got the message on the display "Key battery low".

9. 72fordgts

72fordgts Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Thanks guys. I think it must have been the cell phone. I have been keeping them apart and haven't seen the message since.

10. Wolfstar

Wolfstar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I spend a good part of my day with key fobs from two separate 2010 Prii in the same pocket. I started getting that message when the battery in one fob started going dead...