1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Observations

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bevhoward, May 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. bevhoward

bevhoward Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    A couple of "key" observations ...referring to the Prime's door key.

Since my 2020 Prime is the first car I have owned with a "fob" rather than a physical key, I thought I would post a couple of key misunderstandings that I received from the dealer, reading the manual and the Prius' console messages since buying the car six months ago.

I decided to run some tests which showed that the original information I received and and my conclusions were wrong.

If you press the "start button" when the keyfob is not in or near the car, the console message assumes that the fob battery is dead and directs you to "Touch the Power Switch with the Key" I had assumed that "key" referred to the physical key that you would have extracted from the fob in this scenario and that the physical key contained the embedded "chip" ...wrong.

Those messages that the dealer and the manual are referring to, is the keyfob, with, or without the physical key inserted into the fob.

Turns out that the physical key's only function is to unlock and lock the driver's door (and open or close the windows when outside of the car)

This dictates a couple of things, the first being, don't loose the fob even if you keep the physical key on your key ring to be able to close the windows from outside as I do.

Assuming that your locksmith can cut the physical key's format, since the key doesn't have a chip and no programming is required to activate a physical key, they should be far less expensive to have a couple of spares.

You should then be able to hide an extra key or have it on your key ring to be able to access the car in cases where you don't have the keyfob.

Having a key (rather than the entire fob) on a key ring makes using the outside window controls much easier... an important detail here in Texas during our 100 degree plus summers. (Hot Tip, the front and rear windows close at different speeds, so, release the key when the rear window is closed as far as you want. Since the front windows start first, you can then turn the key again to "bump" the front windows to the same size opening)

While the Prius does a pretty good job of preventing you from locking you keyfob in the car, it is possible, so, keeping the physical key on a separate key ring might be a day saver on one of those bad days.

With this info, I'm also going to stash a spare fob battery (CR2032) in the car somewhere for this eventuality. Good short description on changing the fob battery at

Finally, another observation. If the car battery dies with one or more doors unlocked, there is no apparent way to lock the doors to leave the car locked in that event. Any thoughts or info?

Hope this info is other value to others.
    Beverly Howard

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can't manually rotate the locks on the doors?

3. bevhoward

bevhoward Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    >> You can't manually rotate the locks on the doors? <<

DOH! Color me clueless. I guess I'm so old I was just looking for the old push/pull pegs.

Thanks,
    Beverly Howard

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice write up, thanks! i think you're correct on everything else.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Personal approach.
    But I'm assuming new Prius owners are still getting two fobs upon purchase.
    For me? That means unless I was traveling abroad...a long way from home, I never bothered to separate the physical key from the fob. Worst case, if home isn't that far away, would be simply obtaining the second fob.

To me, an advantage of "keyless" entry, is to be keyless. That is I appreciate simply being able to slip the fob in my pocket and basically enter, operate the vehicle, stop and exit the vehicle all without touching anything but the vehicle itself.

I suppose if simply carrying another key on your regular keychain isn't an issue, one could have one made from the keyfob key. But my goal with embracing the technology is "less is more". I want less on my keychain, and less to carry.
    So in both my Prius and my current Honda Fit the key remains in the keyfob, hopefully to never be used.

If I go on a long road trip? I may have to separate the saucer portion from the rest of the ship.

6. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Change the battery every one or two years. Easy to do. Prevents several potential problems. I’ve even talked to people who had their batteries replaced under warranty.

7. mistermojorizin

mistermojorizin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There's a way to make it so you can lower the windows with the keyfob (but not close them). A setting needs to be changed. I did it myself with the Carista ODB dongle, but the dealer should be able to do it for you.

there's better threads on that, but this is just a from quick search - Roll down gen4 windows w/key fob | PriusChat

Also, you can turn on the AC before you get in the car if there's a charge in the battery - either via the button on the keyfob or via the entune app.