1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Randall Martin

Randall Martin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The open door button on the key is apparently stuck or broken... so no other buttons work; battery is OK.

Is it worth it to try and replace the fob only?

Thanks.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    just use a sharp needle or exacto knife and pry that button free.

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Buy a replacement case.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... and transfer the circuit board AND the RFID chip (which is a rectangular (plastic looking) piece at the front of the bottom half to the case) over to the new case.

5. LGM

LGM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    I agree with dolj.

Just before I purchased my 2005 Prius in a private sale, a mechanic at a private garage accidentally pressed the Smart Key System Cancel Switch button located under the steering column. This disables remote starting of the car (i.e. when the fob is in your pocket). Since a previous owner had forgotten to transfer the RFID chip to the new fob, the fob would not start the car even when it was inserted into the key slot. The car was towed to Toyota for a full afternoon of analysis with all the techs getting involved. Eventually, they discovered that the switch had been pressed. But, nobody discovered the missing RFID chip. I only figured it out when I compared the disassembled fobs of my 2005 and 2006 prii.