1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key programing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Siprfixrupr, May 8, 2020.

1. Siprfixrupr

Siprfixrupr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any experienced advice on the x100 xtool ability to program a smart key for the 2nd gen? I'm considering buying one but don't want to waste 400 dollars if it's not going to work, my doubt is it's advertised for Asian Toyota capable but doesn't specify American Toyota anyone with experience with this, or can reccomend another economical scanner with key programing ability?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer could be less expensive, have you checked on pricing?

Have you considered DIY using Techstream (same software the dealer uses) ?

Would this be for a one time programming situation, or are you looking for a long term tool to provide a service?

3. Siprfixrupr

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey thanks for responding, actually, I don't anticipate going into business programing fobs, but want to be able to do my own, I'm really enjoying learning all about these sippers, and this is just another area for me to learn. I buy abandon 2 ND gens cheap and fix em. The last one I got free but with no key!

4. Siprfixrupr

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    May try learning the techstream software, I'm pretty computer ignorant but enjoy learning. I do have a fairly new dell laptop that is a hundred times slower than my Android Samsung tab, I don't suppose any chance of running that techstream on my tab?

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the tablet can run windows, and has a USB port for the mini-vci cable it should work fine.

6. Siprfixrupr

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Am I understanding correctly that in order for me to get the techstream ability to program keyfob with all keys by lost takes the locksmith certified and security level status with techstream, I think I read over a thousand a year? I'm not able to justify all that as I may only use it a few times a year. But have read on this forum successful programing no with the low priced scanners, but sounds like maybe risky
    That's why I was asking if any one had specifically had success with the xtool x100. But I'll keep reading about my options, thanks for responding.

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know about the xtool x100 device, you might want to ask the device seller directly, and they may try to sell you regardless.

Though I've yet to purchase or use a 'seed code' within techstream, it is my understanding that it is possible, even without subscription.

You may want to contact the octopi 'seed code' people (or the numerous others) and ask about the best approach given the current situation.

Please report back with any progress, as this isn't a project that many here have a chance to pursue.

If you find a less expensive option to reseed, with or without a 'seed code' or a fancy device, please let others know of such.