1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key tech said my battery voltage dropped while programming key

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FirstName LastName, Mar 19, 2018.

1. FirstName LastName

FirstName LastName Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So I got a new key today. Bought a '14 C used about a month ago. Only had 1 key.

So went to get a key programmed today and the tech said "hey, my computer said the voltage is like 10.9 and then when I started it up to 13.2. I know my old F150 is about 14V when the engine is running.

Are these numbers normal? If not, how do I test the battery with my voltmeter? Same place under the hood under that triangular cover for positive and the negative somewhere grounded? Or do I need to do it under the rear seat where the actual battery is?

If I do need a new battery, I don't mind getting a new one, is it difficult to replace? I've replaced many batteries where the battery is in front and under the hood. NOt sure how hard it is for these Prius

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, 10.9 would be very low if everything is off. yes, you can test it under the hood. pop the hood and wait a few hours for the surface charge to wear off, then put your meter on it.
    i guess you have to remove the rear seat, but i don't know the procedure.

3. FirstName LastName

FirstName LastName Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It does sound pretty low but it starts up right away. I'll replace it soon. I just saw a video of it so looks pretty easy. My meter is dead and NOBODY has the fuse. Too bad Radio Shack is gone. Can't even get the fuse at Frys. So off to buy a cheap meter from Walmart to test out batteries.

bisco likes this.