1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keyless Entry FOB not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Asim Jahangir, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Asim Jahangir

Asim Jahangir Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fellow Enthusiasts,

I have prius 2007 of the Japanese make (140k miles). Yesterday, my keyless fob stopped working. I couldn't use it lock/unlock my car; however, it is starting the car just fine. I replaced the batteries on the fob but no avail. The small red light on the fob is shining like normal. There is no abnormal behavior in the car otherwise. Any tips on what should I check?

thanks!
    Asim

2. Jim Porta

Jim Porta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Check the button on the lower part of the front dash. It may have gotten bumped. It turns the keyless entry off and on.

jhg likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if that's not it, check the buttons on the fob, make sure none are stuck in the depressed position. then move on to the 12 volt battery. all the best!(y)

4. Asim Jahangir

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jim - I can't locate the button. Can you please post a photo?

Bisco - I reconnected the terminals on the 12V and the fob started to work for a bit. I have hunch that its battery related as you mentioned...

5. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

6. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you have Smart Key and the remote battery dies, it won't unlock the car, but if you put the key in the key slot it will still start the car. Didn't see if you checked the Smart Key button below steering wheel and if that fixed the problem.
    Here is how to change the remote battery on the 2007 Prius.
    Replacing the Wireless Remote Battery-CR2032
    I've included the page from the Owner's Manual, but my steps are numbered slightly differently.

1. Remove the mechanical valet metal key from the side of key remote;
    2. Remove the emblem cover while sliding the lock knob on the end in the arrow direction.
    3. Remove the 4 screws to take out the metal lid off the module.
    4. Remove the discharged battery and put in a new battery with positive (+) side up.
    5.Install the lid with the 4 screws.
    6.Replace the emblem cover and the mechanical key while sliding the lock knob.

After replacing the battery, check that the key operates properly. If the key still does not operate properly, the comment about the 12-volt is next suspect. It can cause a myriad of quirks.

Attached Files:

jhg likes this.
  7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The button is below the steering wheel column, and says "KEY" on the label.

jhg likes this.
  8. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here are Drawings of two switches you may have under your Steering Wheel, the Smart Key Activation Switch and the Tire Pressure Warning Reset Switch.

Attached Files:

9. Asim Jahangir

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks all. There is no such button on the japanese model. And we don't have a toyota retailer providing services for Prius in Pakistan.

10. Domapoi

Domapoi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the little red light just to the right of the of the "Lock" button on your fob lights up bright when you push any button they there is nothing wrong with the buttons on the fob. If one of the buttons was sticking on (the most common failure of the fob buttons) the light would not light up at all. If the light is dim when you push a button on the fob then there may not be enough signal power from the fob to be received by the car. I sometimes have a problem with my iPhone being too close to the fob and it interferes with the signal, since my fob is in a pouch on my belt, right next to the iPhone (I have to make sure they are separated by a few inches so the fob works). I also have some problems when I am too close to the Navy bases around here due to some frequency they sometime use, but that is mostly with the fob for my Harley Davidson motorcycle. If the light is bright when you push a button then I would check the 12V battery. Mine went dead a couple years ago and I just went to the Toyota dealer and bought the standard one they sell for it. It was cheaper, in cost, then a regular battery for a larger car. I think it cost about the same as the one for my motorcycle. Oh, yeah, make sure the contacts for the fob battery are pushing up on the battery so that the top you screw back on after putting it in has to be held down until you get at least a coupe of the 4 screws back in. If not just slightly bend the two battery contacts in the middle of the battery area up some, this will make sure there is good contact on the fobs battery connectors. Hope something in the helps, good luck. oops, just noticed how long ago the last post before this one was, probably found what the problems was by now, I hope. If so, NEVER MIND.