1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keyless Entry (remote functionality) on my Prius 07 - suddenly stopped working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Paddygotprius, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Paddygotprius

Paddygotprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Everyone,

I have toyota prius 2007 Gen 2 , keyless entry ( remote functionality ) has stopped working on my car

after reading on this forum I have checked the following things but no luck

1) Checked Set Button under the steering - my car does not have this button or tire pressur button

2) Replaced new battery in feb fob , red light blinks when I press buttons on key fob but no clicking sounds from car it is just no responding

3) 12v battery is going strong and does not seem to be any issue with the 12v battery

4) I purchased a used key and re-programmed it using TIS techstream . it can start the same as my original key but remote functionality is not working

can somebody help me what else to check , I am assuming

- some fuse (color or number ?) in some where in fuse box ( location ? )
    - location of car remote module (receiver >?) I can buy from wreckers and replace if it is easy to do .
    - door actuator seems to have no issue either , door is locking and unlocking from inside as normal, i can hear clicking sound. I am using metal key to open driver side door to enter in the car.
    - Can this issue be fixed using techstream - and what option to select ?

local technician wants $300 . i still want to give it try before I take my car to technician

some more info I am not too sure but as it may help
    my car has done little over 400k , and it is ex-taxi , my car key fob has Black logo at the back and 2 buttons on top,( i think it is non-sks model - can not see any reader on passenger side handle too )

I will really appreciate your respond to fix this issue in my car .

Thank You

2. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    How old is the 12 v battery, when was it last trickle charged?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    3) 12v battery is going strong, and does not seem to be any issue with the 12v battery. (y)

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Two years ago the SKS in my 2009 Gen II started acting flakey. I replaced batteries in both key fobs, but to no avail. After about a month or so I noticed that it was getting worse, and the AuxBattery (12V) was starting to misbehave (dim dome light etc. etc.), so I got the dealer to do a load-test on the AuxBattery, to find that although it still worked (…sort of), it wasn't up to snuff, and was on its way out (…well, it was ~6 years old and as far as I knew had never been replaced) New battery == problem fixed! (Q.E.D.) (much relief in the Davis household! :)) ;)

kenoarto likes this.
  5. Paddygotprius

Paddygotprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for reply Lucifer : Battery is about 2 years old now . I tested the battery using that headlight and lcd screen trick a while ago it showed me battery is healthy.

I also checked full health report using techstream and everything seem to be working alright. I was hoping techstream would detect this issue but no luck .

6. Paddygotprius

Paddygotprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank You for your reply WilDavis : I have run car diagnostic test using that headlight technique it showed that battery is healthy . i will check voltage manually using multimeter ( to double check ), and i wil take to local battery shop to check " load test "thing .

My HV battery went bad and started giving me PA080 erorcode to replace hybrid pack. but with the help of this forum , I fixed it , it was so easy i just had to change one bad module which if found with the help of multimeter. which had the lowest voltage. (all other had over 16.8 something). but yes my car battery working as normal except fuel comsumption screen it fluctuates a lot something showing me 99.9liters/100km etc. but I am ignoring that part . I also reset all ecu s using techstream but fuel consumption errror is still there.

I will get a new 12v battery this weekend to try this . if not i will return it :)

#6 Paddygotprius, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  7. Paddygotprius

Paddygotprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    *****************hurrray problem solved *************

here is the solution

I bought a used key from wreckers , and reprogrammed it yesterday and it was working except remote functionality
    today I thought to look for an option to reset wireless remote functionality in techstream. and while browsing i went into body option this is where I exactly found what i was looking for but there were two options one was to register new wireless key and other one to erase all previous keys. and I selected this one to clear memory or erase all nonworking remotes. and then I registered my used key fob which I got from wreckers. but no clicking sound but techstream show that it has been registered successfully .
    and press button few time but no luck

then while going back to home i still pressed the lock/unlock and hurray i see my flashing 4 lights after about 1 and half year .
    this used key is working on remote functionality .

now i wanted to try my orginal key ... registered for wireless functionality but no luck .. tried to program quite a few time but no luck , came back to home and found that the button is playing up , it was getting stuck ..so i will try second key (original key tomorrow )

in nutshell if any priuschat fellows having same issue , so there are two areas to look at

1) in TIS techstream , go to body section , select all wireless key erasure and register your first key , and then second key .. and third if you have .. you can register upto 4 keys , atleast in gen 2 .

2) very basic thing before going through everything .. check the lock/unlock button in the fob itself it might be getting stuck or not working in that case open key fob and clean all parts with isoproypl alcohola , complete dry and put it togther . it is also good idea replace battery at same time.

I hope it will help anyone .

Thank You everyone