1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keyless entry remote not accepted?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Spatchr, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Spatchr

Spatchr New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Girlfriend owns a 2002 Prius that she purchased used a couple years ago. When she bought the car she was only provided a single key with no remotes. I did some research online and found that keyless entry was standard on the 2002 model and that I could program the remote myself if I were to acquire one for her.

Went on eBay and found a remote that per the seller worked with the 2002 Prius along with several other Toyota models. $26 and 5 days later it arrived and I went out to program it with her key and printed directions. The directions were from programyourremote.com, got to the step where the car locks and unlocks to verify the new remote was accepted and it cycled twice to signal the remote was not accepted. Tried the procedure 4 times with the same result. What could the problem be? Obviously the car has a receiver for the keyless entry and it’s receiving a signal from the remote or else it would not have reacted at all when I pushed the buttons on the remote once it was in programming mode.

The FCC # on the back is HYQ12BAN is that correct for Prius?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The FCC number matches but I'm not sure that is all it takes to confirm the part. Do you still have the Ebay item number?

It has been a long time since I've had to program mine but I remember the timing is a little tricky. Too long of a pause at the wrong moment and it fails.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

3. Spatchr

Spatchr New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    eBay # 221161438293

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It looks right.

I also remember finding that it is worth while to test the fob after a power-off, power-on of the Prius later.

I'll fish around and see if I might have the instructions I used at the house.

Bob Wilson

5. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The "pedal dance" can be quite a pain. If you don't follow the steps exactly it won't work.

Since you don't have any working remotes, I suggest "erasing" all remotes before adding the ebay one you have. Erasing all has helped me in the past.

Also, check the door actuators are working properly. Roll down the drivers window, reach in and manually hit the electric lock button. Check that all doors stay locked. Then reach in and hit the electric unlock button... make sure all doors are unlocked now. I've seen a few Gen1's with funky actuators.

6. spazvaio

spazvaio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I know this is a old post but I also had issue with amazon/ebay remotes so I went to northcoastkeyless got one of there remotes once it arrived i also went to programmyremote I also had a fit getting to pair I finally went with the next year program instructions and it worked for me but I almost gave up.