1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

keyless entry security hack

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by jbhybrid, Mar 11, 2017.

1. jbhybrid

jbhybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is this real? Is everyone keeping their Prius keys in the freezer? Why didn't the dealer mention this?

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/style/keeping-your-car-safe-from-electronic-thieves.html?_r=0

"Mr. Danev said that when the teenage girl turned on her device, it amplified the distance that the car can search, which then allowed my car to talk to my key, which happened to be sitting about 50 feet away, on the kitchen counter. And just like that, open sesame."

2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Keys/keyless only keep honest people out.

3. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

4. jbhybrid

jbhybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What the dealer did tell me was it cost $800 to replace the fob if I loose it. If this is the security I get for that money, consider me unimpressed. It is absolutely possible to make a key that only works within a specified distance to the car, using time-of-flight measurements, for example. Apparently they just didn't feel it was necessary.

5. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    aluminum foil does the trick well

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Look at the dateline. That is old news, 2 years ago. See previous discussion threads, here are some of them:
    Keyless-Entry Cars Vulnerable to Silent Theft | PriusChat
    Might want to store your PiP fobs in a metal container | PriusChat

For the vast majority of us, this threat remains theoretical, not a significant part of reality. The threat has increased a bit since then, according to subsequent reports, but this still doesn't seem to be a common problem.

BTW, don't keep the fob in the freezer or refrigerator. The repeated thaw and warmup cycles predispose the internal electronics to condensation and other moisture problems.

giora and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  7. Philthunder

Philthunder Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Excel
    Double wrap the fob in aluminium foil, single layer is not enough. Try walking up to the car and see if it unlocks, if it unlocks try another layer until it will not unlock. Special wireless pouches, often are rubbish, get a recommended one that has been tested by one of the magazines. Otherwise use your Christmas biscuit tin and turkey foil.

8. CraftyCoder

CraftyCoder Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Or you could put the key into battery-saving mode. When in this mode it stops receiving radio waves.

Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 7.40.12 PM.png

FuelMiser and walterm like this.
  9. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    rather have them open the door with my key then break the window... if they want to get in they're going to get in. side windows can be broken easily and with little noise (just cover them with sticky paper and use a $10 fire/rescue windows punch tool), the tacky paper keeps the glass from flying everywhere and "tinkling"