1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keyless (non-smart key) Entry Not Working

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Waterppk, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Waterppk

Waterppk New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    We picked up a 2012 Prius C (II) a few years back and never had keyless entry. I purchased some new keys with the correct remotes (Keyless Entry Remote Ignition Key G Chip for 2012-2014 HYQ12BDM) but I still can't manage to get it working.

I have Techstream 14, I can connect to the BCM and use utilities check to see that I have 2 keys connected, in the utilities I can check that both keys will cause the interior lights to flash when any button is pressed, but unlock/lock/panic still don't work. I tried re-pairing the keys and that doesn't make any difference. I pulled both batteries and verified they're at 3V, red LED turns on when a button is pressed and we know the car is receiving the signals.

My unlock/lock solenoids work fine, pressing the button in the door will lock or unlock both doors. Using Techstream I can lock/unlock both doors through OBDII.

I bought a new wireless receiver and have the panel pulled but I don't want to throw parts at a problem that's not diagnosed. Anybody have any other tests/suggestions/etc?

RobAustin likes this.
  2. RobAustin

RobAustin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Welcome to PriusChat.

I am not an expert, but a possibility...Does the 2012 Prius C uses the "H" or the Toyota "G" chip?

Rob

TOYOTA PRIUS C2012-2015
    Transponder Texas Crypto DST 80-bit / DST80 / 4D72 / ID72/ Toyota G-chip;OEM Key: TOYOTA PRIUS C2012-2015Transponder Texas Crypto DST 80-bit / DST80 / 4D72 / ID72/ Toyota G-chip;OEM Key: HYQ14FBA 89904-0E091, HYQ14ACX 89904-47370 etc.

3. Waterppk

Waterppk New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reply - the only key we got with it had a G stamped and the replacement keys are also G's. The G blade is the RFID in the key itself for the immobilizer which is separate from the wireless button/transmitter set. Your pasted data (HYQ14FBA) seems to match up with the smart key which I don't have. It's definitely a possibility I have the wrong transmitter but I haven't seen a good way to figure out what the right one should be.

Anybody else with a known OEM non-smart key want to look at the ID/FCC ID on the back of their key and let me know what it says?

4. Waterppk

Waterppk New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I swapped out the TPMS / wireless receiver, erased the codes, and re-added them. No change in behavior, both the original key we received and the key I cut don't work to remotely unlock/lock the doors. Both flash the interior light when tested in the Techstream utility but neither will cycle the door locks. If I hold the button the interior light stays on, I don't know if that's expected behavior or not.

Is there anywhere in Techstream I can see the CAN messages for lock status? I want to watch the lock command and see if the BCM is receiving a command to cycle the door lock or not.

5. Waterppk

Waterppk New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I ended up buying more new HYQ12BDM keys where the seller specifically listed them as for a Prius C. On reading around it seems like the Prius C wireless transmitters are more finicky than most so I figured it was worth a shot. The new keys programmed just fine, they're a little flaky but mostly work which is good enough for us.

In short, it seems like you'll be able to successfully program the "wrong" HYQ12BDM keys and they'll be able to test out in Techstream just fine and may work once or twice but they ultimately don't seem to work unless they're sold specifically for the Prius C.