1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keyless Security Hack (Prime not tested)

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by unicorn, May 4, 2017.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I keep reading posts by people upset that -someone- -somewhere- -may- be able to get their car with -some- high tech method. Funny thing though, I've never read a post on this forum of anybodies Prius disappearing mysteriously. I wonder why?

Prius from Dad likes this.
  2. unicorn

unicorn Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why? ... e.g., "they think the vehicle has been towed"
    12/2016 NICB NICB Reveals Mystery Device That Opens and Starts Vehicles | nicb.org
    We’ve now seen for ourselves that these devices work,” said NICB President and CEO Joe Wehrle. “Maybe they don’t work on all makes and models, but certainly on enough that car thieves can target and steal them with relative ease. And the scary part is that there’s no warning or explanation for the owner. Unless someone catches the crime on a security camera, there’s no way for the owner or the police to really know what happened. Many times, they think the vehicle has been towed.”

I agree that Prius has a very low theft rate (except batteries & catalytic converters problems)
    2012 NICB Theft History of the Toyota Prius | nicb.org
    2017 PriusChat Anyone have their Prius stolen? | Page 2 | PriusChat

But "world is changing", Toyota hybrids are more and more attractive (e.g., C-HR, Prime, Camry).
    Shortly, Prius Prime is an attractive PHEV with 100% EV, exceptional mpg and quite expensive parts (battery, LEDs, carbon hatch, etc.). Moreover, globally it's going to be a bestseller in PHEV class that has a bright future for next 15-20 years. Anyway, I wish a zero theft rate.

This discussion is about very cheap and easy protection (luggage/car) against the keyless security hack: "Fob Double Click" or "$20 Fob Protector". That's all.
    PSA: ADAC Keyless Security Hack (100+ Models Update 05/2017) | PriusChat

#22 unicorn, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017