1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keyless strating of the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dwested, May 30, 2008.

1. dwested

dwested New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I can only start my Toyota Prius by putting the remote in the starter. I can't start it with the remote removed. Ideas?
    Everything was fine until yesterday. I could get in the car with remote in my pocket and start up the car by pushing the soft button. I had a flat tire fixed by a tire dealer and now the car only starts by inserting the remote in the start slot. Any ideas ?:tsk:

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Welcome to PriusChat Dwested. :)

Just from what you have written, you are saying two different things. Past tense: "I could get in the car with remote in my pocket and start up the car by pushing the soft button" . . . and present tense: "now the car only starts by inserting the remote."

What you don't explain is the present tense . . . when you approach the car, can you unlock the doors without touching the remote (Key FOB )?

If you answer "NO" to that question; under the steering column is a button which disables the Smart Key system. Try pressing it and then try starting the car without inserting the FOB.

If you answer "YES" . . . I do not know.

3. dwested

dwested New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I cannot unlock the car now without touching the remote.

Thanks for the info. I'll try the button you mention.

4. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are 2 buttons under the steering column. One is to set the Tire Pressure monitor, the other turns the Smart Key System (SKS) on and off.

I suspect that after the tire dealer repaired the flat and checked the pressure on the tires, they probably tried to reset the tire pressure monitor and pressed the wrong button. They may have realized their mistake and then pressed the correct button, but by then they had already turned off SKS.

When you try pushing the button make sure you press the correct one.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And if it isn't the button under the wheel, it could be the battery in the fob.

Tom

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The dash button is an easy mistake. At least they tried. My mechanic fumbled around trying to reset the oil change light and managed to turn off half of the MFD screens. Talk about an "oh sh!t" moment.