1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keyless System issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Yeetle, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Yeetle

Yeetle New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a 2009 Prius Touring And I've already replaced the key fob battery so I know the key fob is working properly, And when I press the buttons on the key fob all of the buttons are operating correctly with the car. The problem is that I don't know if there is some sort of proximity thing inside the car that's supposed to detect when the key fob is near but my car won't start unless I have the key fob in the key fob chamber. but the car will not start if I have the key fob in my pocket, nor will the car open when I just approach it and put my hand on the door handle. I have to manually unlock it by pressing the unlock button on my key fob. Any clues?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your car has little black buttons on the door handle (and tailgate garnish) then it has SKS (smart key system) which is the feature that allows keyless entry and start. If it does not have these lock buttons, then it does not have SKS.

If your car does have SKS, check under the steering wheel for a button labeled 'Key'. This is the SKS disable switch. If it is pressed in then SKS is disabled. To enable SKS, make sure the button is toggled to the 'out' position.