1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kicker CS65's - should i return them?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by harman.khinda, Mar 13, 2014.

1. harman.khinda

harman.khinda New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi so i ordered two pairs of kicker cs65's (crutchfield) and Precision Power 800.4, wiring, and external LOC. I kinda went overboard on the amp as I will need to rewire the speaker wiring. I'm wondering will leaving the factory tweeter in my prius be okay?

Should I replace the tweeters, disconnect them, or return the kickers and get a component set upfront?

2. harman.khinda

harman.khinda New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    admittingly I don't know what I'm doing - I'm thinking of returning it all and starting from scratch....

3. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Leave the front dash speakers, I did , no regrets

4. harman.khinda

harman.khinda New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    sweet, thats what i wanted to hear... what do you have for speaker/amp setup by the way?

Also if I put in a subwoofer, do you think I'm losing anything by choosing the 6.5 instead of 6x9 upfront? or should I return the kickers and get the 6x9's?

5. harman.khinda

harman.khinda New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    NM I saw your set up. but - How are your dash speakers wired with amp and front door speakers?

6. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's a bunch of threads that address the same sort of set up you're trying for. A few of us changed the speakers and added amps both with and without keeping the stock head unit. If you do a search on the forum for audio-related keywords you should be able to find a ton of good info. Here's an example that I used before cutting into my factory harness...

Replace speakers, add 4ch amp and keep head unit? | PriusChat

Good luck and have fun!

iPhone ?

7. harman.khinda

harman.khinda New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks! One more question: im using a four channel LOC (external) but I want to hook up a sub? What should I splice for the sub wire? (Mono amp with high level input)

8. harman.khinda

harman.khinda New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    And if I have a 800 watt amp? Will thay cause any problems witht the cars electrical? How about if I add another 400watt amp for a sub?

9. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you're using the PPI amp to run the door speakers at 4 ohms, you'll be fine, it's rated 130/ch. You should still be fine with an amp and sub if 400W but that really depends on the model you choose and how powerful it really is. Perhaps add a capacitor on the sub amp to keep the current draw steady.
    What kind of LOC do you have? Audio control makes some nice LOC's that have sub RCA's out. If you're using passive PAC-style ones, then you may want to think about an electronic crossover between the LOC and amp. This'll provide the RCAs out to all the amps and may also help clean up any noise.

iPhone ?

10. harman.khinda

harman.khinda New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks im using a passive LOC - NVX XFLOC4.0. Yeah I like the audio control loc just cant afford it due to being in school right now. How does am electric crossover allow for a subout? Wouldnt I need a rca y splitter to hook it up?

11. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I forgot my own configuration. My LC6i takes 4 channels in and creates 6 out including the sub.. For your budget, you have a better idea.... Skip the crossover and use a Y adaptor on the rear RCA's of your converter. This would create the tap you're looking for to the sub amp. Does the sub amp have a low-pass filter?

iPhone ?

12. harman.khinda

harman.khinda New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I havent got one yet but I will get one with an internal loc and low/high pass filter - will that negate the need for a electronic crossover?

13. harman.khinda

harman.khinda New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Also can a four channel sub in bridged config put out low pass to one channel and high pass to the other?

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  15. harman.khinda

harman.khinda New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks Chris that link was a big help...

Frodoz -My family runs the One Stop gas station here in the bluff...phones having trouble displaying those posts

16. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It will. If you use the 800.4 for the highs and want a sub amp, look into a mono one. They're pretty efficient and can now be found fairly cheap. They're mostly designed to drive subs so will have low-pass filters. Crutchfield runs good sales and also Sonic Electronix is another favorite of mine for good deals.
    In a config like this, you would only need your LOC and the 2 amps, done....
    Another option if you didn't get any amps yet; Hifonics and a few brands make 4 channel amps that provide an RCA output to feed a second sub amp, no "Y's needed, just daisy-chain the amps.
    Check out KnuKoncepts for power and cables. It's a fairly new company and makes great stuff for an awesome price.

17. JGI

JGI Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It depends. Is your amp bridgeable? some amps are NOT bridgeable. Some amps are bridgeable, yet are only stable to 4 ohms bridged, and if you have a DVC sub with 4 ohms per coil, then you're down to 2 ohms bridged. You'll have to watch your impedance or you'll fry your amp. Most 4 channel amps can be configured like that though, you will just have to watch your crossover points and impedance load.

My personal answer is... YES, absolutely replace those stock tweets. If you're gonna upgrade your system, do it right the first time. My suggestion is to get "separates" (components set). MB Quart, Infinity, even Kicker make good ones. You will get way cleaner sound with this setup with clear separation of mids and highs.

Chris S likes this.
  18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agree, definitely use separates up front.

19. harman.khinda

harman.khinda New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Im looking at the alpine type s components they are in my price range and match the output of the amp... should I pull the trigger or any better recomendations? Any thing special I have to do when pulling out the factory tweeter?

20. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ""Run new front speaker wire if you use components up front."" Each side door and dash speakers or on the same run in parallel with a bass blocker at the dash speaker (squawker). It's just easier and cleaner with 2 seperate runs of fresh wire per side (I used 16 ga.) and connectors to match your replacements. My linked Album shows the location of my cross-overs and amp.