1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

King Kong

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Dec 18, 2005.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    anyone who hasnt had a chance to see it yet, i highly recommend it. the special effects are awesome. a lot of movies i can easily wait for the DVD version, but i have to say, you will miss an experience if you dont see King Kong on the big screen at least once.

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Plus you'll be supporting the New Zealand film industry! Looking forward to seeing it. Newsweek gave it a solid rating and Jack Black is always a hoot, though this time around maybe not so much.

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I've rarely seen such overall good reviews for a film -- Critics.com's worst review was 3 stars out of 4.

(Actually, I think WALLACE & GROMIT: CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT got similar good reviews. (And deserved them!))

I'm going to see it next week at the Majestic Bay Theater in Ballard. My only disappointment is that it's not being released in IMAX format. That's the perfect way to see Kong!

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've never been one for re-makes.

I've seen the original Godzilla, Kong, etc, and don't really feel like giving my limited movie budget money to re-hashed ideas, no matter how glitzy the special effects.

If I'm going to subsidize Hollywood with my money, they have to come up with something original to get it.

And no, I'm not interested in re-makes of Casablanca or the Maltese Falcon either. :)

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I think I'd put it this way: I'm averse to going to see a remake.

However, every so often there are exceptions to the rule: when someone brings something new to an old story, with new interperterations. The new Kong appears to be one.

I guess it'd be analagous to the various performances of Shakespeare's As You Like It I've seen; a number of them had new and interesting perspectives on the characters.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if you like special effects you will love the dinosaur fight scene, if you love special effects you will be speechless like me...after all i still dont know how to describe it...other than if you dont get a chance to see it on the big screen, you are missing out.

7. 00Silverado

00Silverado New Member

I thought it was a pretty good movie. Obviously the previous versions were before my time and I never saw them, so I have no clue how they compared to the original and remake. Worth the 7.50 though B)

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I checked it out last night - excellent film. The digital special effects were absolutely seamless, and after awhile you just stop looking for imperfections because they're just not there. The theater I was in had a lot of small children in it, which surprised me because it is a pretty violent film. I had to take 2 bathroom breaks (there was a point where about 30 people in the theater got up at once and hit the restroom), but it didn't feel like 3 hours and 7 minutes at all. Shopgirl at and hour 45 felt like eternity compared to Kong.

I enjoyed it more than the LOTR films.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it was an easy 3 hours... funny thing, i went with this girl from work and she said it was a good movie but a bit long. i asked her what she would have cut out, and she really didnt have any suggestions. other than a bit of the opening parts, i wouldnt have cut a thing. sure the dinosaur fight scene could have been shorter, but if i had a special effects team that was THAT talented, i would have showed them off as much as possible too.

it may have been done before, but how many movies released a double DVD on the special effects editing BEFORE the movie was released??

in the New York street scenes, every detail was CG, Jackson had over 1000 computers networked together to pull that scene off. on average, each computer took up to an hour to render one second of film...

i wasnt going to get the DVD on the making of King Kong, but after seeing the film, i am really tempted now

10. tag

tag Senior Member

Well, imagine those same kids in the theater but, instead of King Kong, the movies were Jarhead and Saw 2! Hard to believe yet there they were.