1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Klean Diesel Kaput

Discussion in 'Diesels' started by bwilson4web, Mar 3, 2010.

1. ems1

ems1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ive got an 06 ford with 80,000 miles on it. Still as quite as the day it left the lot.

Same with my buddies 08 with 65000 miles

2. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

just because a diesel is new and has common rail injection does not mean it will be quiet. It takes good tuning a piezo injectors to get the engine to be really queit. VW hasn't figured this out yet, IMO theyre engines are still too loud.

3. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was impressed by the 2.0 TDI. It's still noticeable outside, but inside, that thing is very nice. The 3.0 V6 TDI is among the quietest and smoothest diesels I have heard, I would even put it slightly ahead of the BMW twin turbo I6 diesel.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I'm thinking of a specific thread to compare and contrast the different cycles. Basic thermodynamics, a review of the physics.
    Actually I've found that site to be fairly accurate. With rare exception, the members are very much into the scientific method ... doing experiments to test hypothesis. Of course, not universal, it is one of the best collection of credible, experimenters and investigators outside of "Prius Technical Stuff."
    I've visited the TDI site from time to time and was able to get the TDI data for this chart:
    [​IMG]
    I very much appreciated getting steady-state, TDI data from "Plus 3 Golfer." But I don't 'hang there' because I don't feel the need to 'witness' or be a hybrid/Prius missionary. It turns out I don't have to go there as so many diesel advocates come to Prius forums, Edmunds and PriusChat. We have plenty of volunter diesel missionaries to work with here. <grins>

Is that a 1997 engine?

I was looking for more recent, 2.0L TDI BSFC, which I found at Ecomodder:
    [​IMG]
    Sad to say, it does not include the automatic transmission operating line. In fact, I wasn't expecting to find it, in contrast to the Prius:
    [​IMG]
    But let's go back to what the "operating area" or "operating line" means and why it is important.

OPERATING LINE OR AREA

A simple inspection of the 1.8L Prius or 2.0L TDI engine shows a series of areas whose edges separate the different specific fuel per unit of power. To claim "my engine has xxx g/k Wh and thus better than your yyy g/k Wh" is nonsense if the engine never or very seldom operates in the area. The delivered efficiency is the percentage of power, the "k Wh" at any given point in the BSFC chart. For example, let's look at what happens on a typical trip of say 88 minutes, identical urban route:
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7
    0 BSFC min. diesel total min. Prius total
    1 200 1 200
    2 210 2 420
    3 220 5 1 100 50 11 000
    4 230 10 2 300 20 4 600
    5 240 20 4 800 10 2 400
    6 250 50 12 500 5 1 250
    7 260 2 520
    8 270 1 270
    9 88 21 320 88 20 040
    10 Diesel BSFC 242 Prius BSFC 228
    *semi log scale used for duration

In this drive, the Prius achieves a much higher, specific fuel efficiency because it maximizes the time at peak BSFC. It can do this because:

• computer controlled transmission - selects the optimum gear ratio to keep the engine in the "sweet spot."
    • engine off in inefficient regions - the Prius is notorious for turning off the engine instead of burning gas at idle or while braking.
    • battery charging storage at peak efficiency - the engine generates a little extra power and stores it in the battery. This energy is later used to handle low-power situations so the engine does not have to run.
    So this is why the "operating line" or "operating area" is so important to superior Prius mileage. It is why trying to make some claim based upon BSFC chart without the operating line is at best ignorance. So lets compare and contrast "clean diesel" fleet performance versus to Prius performance.

One of the unique features of the Prius is the ability to read out engine torque and rpm. The product and a constant is the engine power. Combine that with the fuel consumption, available from either injector timing or mass air flow, and every Prius has a built-in, dynometer. So I was able to make my own BSFC chart from data collected from my Prius:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I'm understanding this hypothetical table correctly, your Prius Total column is messed up, computed from the Diesel minutes column instead of Prius minutes. Did you mean for Prius to have an average BSFC of 228?

1 person likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is why I enjoyed the VW commercial:

VW claims their cars are louder than the Prius, which we agree.

Bob Wilson

7. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not saying they are inaccurate. Rather, there simply seems to be a lack of information (probably because there's far less TDI members) compared to TDIClub.

I think that plot is for a 1997 engine. It is very similar to the ALH engine used from 1999.5-2003. There don't seem to be many members who are interested in producing those kind of plots, probably because their usefulness is limited. With the feedback that cars give through iFCDs and so on, it's much easier to drive by iFCD than by a BSFC chart.

All the information necessary to produce the chart which you are seeking should be available. Instead of waiting for someone else to produce it, it would probably be faster to make it yourself.

The 2009 TDI also has a readout for engine torque. There are a lot of measuring blocks that people are still trying to figure out.

I think there are some errors in your table. The Prius numbers do not look correct.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No problem since Ecomodder's goal is improving vehicle efficiency. It was what initially piqued my curiosity. Then I saw how they approached it and realize the value of that group. Remember, I'm curious, not a missionary.

Great, I look forward to seeing the folks who 'read BSFC' prove the courage of their convictions and bring their own charts. Hopefully, something current.<GRINS>

Not likely as we already have two Prius and an RV.

Bob Wilson

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That looks pretty bad. Even in 5th gear, the most efficient it can get is around 240 g/kWh at 100mph!

At normal highway speed 70mph, 5th gear can only achieve 260 g/kWh. Gen3 Prius can stay at 220 g/kWh at 70mph.

All the talk about theoretical BSFC does not reflect the reality. The question is if the newer TDI with 6 speed DSG able to tap into more efficient BSFC region.

10. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob, you do not need to own the car to make the chart. Use drag models, known gear ratios and engine characteristics and you should be able to produce something similar to the graph I provided for the 1.9.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

This is the same table re-ordered to more clearly show the impact of the operational line or area:
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7
    0 BSFC minutes diesel (*) total minutes Prius total
    1 200 1 200
    2 210 2 420
    3 220 5 1 100 50 11 000
    4 230 10 2 300 20 4 600
    5 240 20 4 800 10 2 400
    6 250 50 12 500 5 1 250
    7 260 2 520
    8 270 1 270
    9 88 21 320 88 20 040
    10 Diesel BSFC 242 Prius BSFC 228
    * - pure speculation, we need user diesel data.

I understand diesel advocates may have access to torque sensor data. If they can combine that with engine RPM and injector timing, they should be able to make a chart like this:
    [​IMG]
    You'll notice there is a strong clustering of HP data points in the 1,400-1,800 rpm region and then it tapers off at higher power settings. This usage pattern overlaps the region of highest BSFC.

Bob Wilson

12. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds like a huge waste of fuel for little gain. Use the chart from Ecomodder and my suggestions and you should get what you're after, and you won't have to buy any fuel to do it either. It should be quite easy as you seem to have lots of experience making plots.

What does the Fuel Eff percentage on your plots mean?

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You are quoting oft repeated MINIMUM bsfc numbers. If your common rail engine put in autos is not operating at 1500 rpm and high torque, it's bsfc efficiency is much lower than 40%. For any useful sense to be made of these engine efficiency arguments for the vast majority of car owners, one must take the weighted average of an engine's efficiency in an apples to apples mixed use comparison. Otherwise you just have a completely useless synthetic benchmark. Well, useless to everybody except those trying to spin results ...

addendum: oh, I see BW is making this point too, only with pretty graphs ;)

Higher energy density fuel does not a higher efficiency imply. You should know better than that. In this forum, efficiency is used in the engineering sense; that is, fraction of energy turned into mechanical work.

I'll also add that the most spectacular BSFC at idle is still infinite gallons/mile.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If the diesel vehicle has a way to report the rpm, torque, and injector timing, just record the data in normal driving. That is what I did.

A proper BSFC chart requires the engine in a dynometer, standard fuel and well controlled conditions that includes no accessories. These overhead functions in a vehicle driving on streets mean I can't replicate the exact values published in the Toyota papers nor will in situ measurements of diesel efficiency report the same values as the lab charts. So I did a two-pass analysis.

I first calculated all specific fuel consumption data including removing outliers, more about this later. I then created buckets based upon the highest, specific fuel efficiency, 100%. I then made categories based upon 5% bands of efficiency. This in turn was used to generate plots using different diameter and colored data points.

Field data suffers from sampling race errors as these are not recorded at exactly the same instant in time:

• rpm
    • torque
    • injector timing
    These can result in 'impossible' values or outliers. To eliminate them, I only use data points where the two values at times T{n} and T{n+1}, vary by no more than 10% for all six data points. It means I don't get transition values but rather a collection of steady-state values. This takes out negative HP and other impossible values.

I would enjoy sharing techniques and data with a diesel enthusiasts bringing empirical data. But I feel uncomfortable discussing it at the TDIclub site because it would look as if a Prius advocate were coming to 'pick a fight.' If they would feel uncomfortable sharing the data in this diesel forum of PriusChat, Ecomodder would be a suitably neutral site.

Bob Wilson

15. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Allow me to slightly wander off the topic of this thread.

In the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I see PLENTY of doolies and many of them diesel with their soot clouds....not all of these are commercial vehicles. ;)

Until a year ago, VW and other makers of diesel sedans could not sell them in the US, but apparently that restriction did not apply to diesel doolies?

I'm more concerned with 6-liter doolies with flautant soot clouds than a 1.5 liter clean diesel. Not saying it's the cleanest, but it's definitely ahead of the curve in America.

16. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    These are simply dumnb immature people who think they are "cool" by blowing smoke.

Stock these engines wont smoke. Its when idiots get ahold of them that they do.

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    SUVs and trucks have long enjoyed exemption from many safety, mileage, and emissions requirements. This is one of the reasons that SUVs have been so popular in this country.

Tom

18. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All on-road diesels have the same emissions requirements.

By 2014 all off road diesels under 800hp will have the same emissions requirements as the current 2010 emissions requirements.

19. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Note that SUVs are now subject to the same emission standards as cars.

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Can you appreciate the irony of posting photos of smoking diesels in a sub-forum of PriusChat? There is a concept of 'know thy audience.' Perhaps fuel efficient folks like Prius owners are going to form an impression from:

• Enthused to see diesels generating great clouds of smoking tires and exhausts
    • Suddenly interested in diesels that are obviously burning huge amounts of fuel to go short distances
    • Entranced at diesel engine and tire noise
    Seriously, what were you thinking? Was it something like, "I'll show those Prius folks what they are missing ..."

You've succeeded but don't take it personal. You weren't the first and no doubt won't be the last. It seems to be an attitude VW instills in their advertising and on to their enthusiasts. The most recent being the amusing Superbowl ad:

I enjoy the irony of seeing a German company showing another kind of 'police state.' The clearest message from this ad is 'screw Clean Diesel, we don't need no environmentalism.'

It isn't you but rather whatever passes for marketing in VW/Audi that is sending out the schizophrenic messages. I'm just surprised you haven't appreciated the irony.

Bob Wilson