1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

knock/tick/click sound under load and acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nicnacpatwac, Sep 10, 2016.

1. nicnacpatwac

nicnacpatwac New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a ticking sound from the engine of my 2008 prius. It is pretty noticeable while accelerating between 15 mph and 30 mph. I have read a few posts that addressed this, but never had a resolution. Some say it was normal, others say that it could be lower grade gas. The owners manual even says a knock while accelerating or under load is normal.
    The ticking is kind of annoying on my prius. it sounds like playing card in bicycle spokes.
    background:
    This is m first prius. I purchase from dealer about a 2 months ago, and don't remember hearing the ticking when test driving it, but not sure. it has 186k mi. it does not burn an oil. All fluids, and belt is good. MPG is what is expected.
    About a week ago I test drove another prius with same mileage to see if I heard that same ticking, but I didn't hear it from that prius.
    I tried:
    - premium with techron
    - changed air filter
    - oil change with Mobile1

I took my prius to a large reputable toyota dealer, and had the service manager listen to the engine tick. He said it was normal for these engines. He said if there was a problem, these prius's would more than likely show an error code.

My questions are:
    does anyone else have similar ticking?
    do i just turn on the radio and ignore it? - my wife says it sounds faint to her.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    186k miles is a lot of miles. A car can develop all kinds of strange noises when they are that worn.

you might want to try running a few tanks with techron fuel treatment. maybe that'll help it. But really not much you can do on a worn engine.

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It may be a valve lifter out of spec. Someone skilled with a mechanic's stethoscope may be able to verify that. The Prius maintenance guide says to get valve clearance checked regularly, but it's a real pain on that engine, requiring a partial tear-down. I'm not in the industry, just a hobbyist and forum enthusiast, but I've never heard of anyone actually doing it. The general consensus seems to be it's a well-made engine and, given the low cost and high availability of salvaged engines, it's not worth the work especially on an older engine. If a valve burns, the car will let you know but it won't strand you.

4. nicnacpatwac

nicnacpatwac New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, if this helps....
    There is no ticking on the first half mile then it's starts ticking for the next 2 miles pretty noticeably, then a bit fainter after the 2 miles.
    Maybe something with manifold or catylitc converter?

5. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My gen 2 had a minor exhaust tick that would get quiter after a few miles. I was happy living with it. The guy I sold it to fixed it by replacing a donut seal between two parts of the exhaust.

6. nicnacpatwac

nicnacpatwac New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reply guys.
    I'm gonna try the techron for a few fill-ups.
    If it is valve out of alignment, and gets worse, I look at my options, if it stays the same I can live with it.
    I'll also look at exhaust issue.

7. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Given the symptoms, it sounds more like the exhaust. Valve noise should be noticeable on cold start. Exhaust noise will vary with manifold temp. Some can tell by the speed and location of the tick. Noise from a single lifter will be at 1/2 engine rpm, coming from the top of the engine. An exhaust noise will be at 4X engine rpm, coming from the bottom rear of the engine.

8. nicnacpatwac

nicnacpatwac New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Hope this video helps out to my "ticking" sound. As I am accelerating, in the video, you can hear a ticking sound get faster then slower. It is faint, but if you turn up the volume you can hear it, more noticeable when riding in car, and not via video. Not sure if this could help in diagnosing this issue, if it is even an issue.
    I started my techron treatment, and soon I'll have someone help me try to locate any exhaust leaks.
    It maybe just the animal of this engine

#8 nicnacpatwac, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  9. bikes4u

bikes4u Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How long has it been since you changed your plugs? any idea what the coolant temp is when it's pinging? My last car was a Ford and it pinged when it was hot outside and temp was hot. I was too cheap to buy 92 octane gas so I would add 1 gal of e85 to a 20gal tank and the pinging would go away. Not sure if the Prius does but a lot of new cars have anti knock sensors which adjust the timing if the engine starts pinging.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah that's the sound of an engine with 186,000 miles. Lifter noise. Probably lived on dealer vat oil all its life. Look at its history. Go to toyota.com/owners and join and enter the car's vin.

It will show you every visit the car has seen to an authorized Toyota dealer. Probably show you why it was traded in. See if its had its oil changed at the dealer regularly.
    If it really bothers you take the valve cover off and see how bad it is. My bet is its bad.

Based on being on this site more than 10 years the engine in general and the top engine in particular are very robust. The engine uses solid lifters unlike most cars that use hydraulic lifters. Lifter wear is serviced by replacing shims under the sold lifters. Very few posts about the top end most are about how clakity clakity the motor is in general because of the nature of this valve train but under load and during acceleration the valve system is very quiet. I can't recall one person who has replaced those shims and post about it. Probably labor intensive and given your miles a salvage motor is probably money better spent.

The somewhat unique part of the VVT system is its serviced by its own little oil filter for the VVT system. Its a little screen filter.
    In your case being curious how it was treated in its earlier life you may want to pull that filter and clean it and look at it.
    Its behind a torx bolt right under intake manifold runner cylinder #1.

11. nicnacpatwac

nicnacpatwac New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the good info edthefox - read a number of your post before, and they have been helpful.
    I looked it up the service records and it is had 2 previous owners. First owner, by comments from the service, is that she was expecting more "power" and better gas mileage than 50MPG. The second owner had it for over 130k and had all the recalls done, and some minor things, including detailing, as I can see that the car was super clean when I bought it... no dings, scratches, cosmetically clean.... evidently took pride in looks. Not sure mechanically since there were very few dealer oil changes in the history.
    I check oil frequently and there is no loss of oil, and color looks like it was just poured in.

Not sure if I have the expertise to do this, but... when I bought it from the dealer (not the last owner's dealer), which I know and trust, they did a complete service check. He did mention one thing; that there was a very slight valve cover leak, however I don't notice any oil whatsoever that there is a leak. Could this make a ticking sound, without oil leaking? or maybe did he mean manifold leak? - I may take it back to them and see if he can check it out.
    so if it is a valve issue, and I can live with the ticking, does it matter if I get it fixed? - will the engine "blow up" if I don't?

I will check tonight... will oil pour out? or do I need to drain the oil first?

BTW - last night I replaced the spark plugs... that's about as mechanically as I get... it was pretty easy, but anything more is out of my realm.
    it didn't help the ticking.

#11 nicnacpatwac, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    edthefox5 likes this.
  12. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that the different sounds of the engine is likely partially due to the engine going through the different warm up stages. See this thread:
    Prius Stages of Operation & Operating Mode Availability -A Reference Aid | PriusChat

Open the first pdf on that page and then take note of the "Ignition Timing" row. My engine has a noticeable ticking noise in S1 (similar to many many other cars - doesn't sound like anything I'd worry about), then in quiets significantly in S2, quiets further in S3, and then is unnoticeable in S4. I believe the timing is advanced the most in S4, which is why this occurs for me. Also seems to be related to the engine temperature. If I start the car with a warm engine, the ticking is quieter, even in S1.

The Prius engine is very good at reporting when it has problems with codes. I agree with others - for an engine with 186k, I wouldn't worry about it. You could try a few tanks of cleaner in your gas and see if it makes a difference. Only other thing I can think of besides taking apart some parts of the engine like others have mentioned is going up to a thicker oil, which might reduce the ticking noise. You could try a 10W-40 oil if you're really worried about it (with the expense of slightly reduced fuel economy - 1-2%ish, and slightly harder cold starts).

Also important to note is that there is a big difference between a "tick" and a "knock". If you have engine knocking (a form of engine misfiring), the engine will run very rough, and you'll notice strong unusual vibrations from the engine.

13. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you have a lifter seriously out of adjustment, you could burn a valve. That will light up the CEL and you'll loose power, but it won't blow up or leave you stranded.

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like JC said....thats alot of miles.

The horrible truth is at that many miles I would worry alot more about the hybrid battery going t.u. That will bust you out.

15. priusman09

priusman09 I used to be a TDI

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    nicnacpatawac,
    This is the best video of the noise I've found. Have you discovered anything on the source of this? My 09 has sounded like this almost since new. Obviously it was less early in life and most noticeable to me in winter on cold starts mostly. Now fast forward to almost 200,000 and it has gotten a bit louder with the miles and wear. I figure if it was something significant it would have let loose long ago. At the 60k maintenance it says to inspect valve clearance, but my dealer said back then "we don't adjust prius valves or check" and sound normal. It seems to me to be a valve clearance issue or the VVT sprocket? Anything else like a rod bearing or piston pin would have parted ways years ago.

If there has been any changes in your search for an answer let me know. On thing seems to be true, my cold engine taps more and lessens as it gets to operating temp. The hotter the summer the less I hear it on startup although it is always present. Sort of sounds like a sewing machine.

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I hear it is it after you let off the gas? Thats kind of trailing clicky click. Thats weird have not heard that before. What kind of oil are you using and are you keeping it at the full line.

has the car ever ran so low on oil it turned on a check engine light?

17. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Under load or acceleration? Sounds to be Spark Knock/Pinging.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

18. Humpty

Humpty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know this thread has been quiet for a while, but I am dying to know if anyone has resolved or at least identified this noise.

My '08 is making the exact same sound. It has 96k miles.

- I don't believe it is detonation pinging, The sound is to consistent and lacks that almost diesely clatter you'd expect.
    - It could be a lifter or an exhaust leak, but if I raise the RPM's while in neutral, I don't hear anything. So I feel like that eliminates those.

Are there any other systems that would match the engines RPM's while in gear? Like a speedometer cable or something like that? (It probably doesn't have a speedometer cable, just trying to think of overlooked components....)

19. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You mean raise RPM in PARK? Pushing throttle pedal when in neutral does nothing. And pressing throttle in park just raises the RPM but doesn’t really load the engine at all. So there’s nothing to proof that it’s not exhaust leak or something like that.

20. Humpty

Humpty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, in PARK. My bad. Thanks, Valde3. :)

I know in the past (with other vehicles) I have been able to replicate minor lifter taps and exhaust leaks while in park. I guess that may not always be the case.

I'm still wondering if there might be any other components that could cause a noise during acceleration. From what I have read, the issue has occurred in low mileage vehicles as well.