1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Knocking after getting detailed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Big Nick, Apr 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Big Nick

Big Nick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a 2007 Prius. I just had it detailed and an odd knocking sound appeared. When the engine is running without load nothing, sounds great, as soon as it starts to charge the main battery you start to hear a hard knocking sound. I am also getting P030x and P0351 codes. I checked the coils and all see to be working. I checked the oil level is good. I just put in a new 12v battery so that is good. I'm lost as to what to check next. I'm thinking it must have something to do with the hybrid system as it only happens when the main battery is being charged. Why I get the P03xx codes is puzzling but clearly the car seems to be missing. Maybe some high-voltage is leaking out, something got wet when the detailer cleaned the engine compartment? It was detailed 5 days ago at this point so I think everything should be dry...

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How many miles do you have on this vehicle?

Swap your number #1 coil onto another plug and see if the code changes.

3. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the 12V battery voltage. The detailer may have run down the battery while detailing the car by leaving the interior lights on or playing the radio. It doesn't explain the knocking sounds, but a low 12V battery is known for throwing bad codes.

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would have said water worked past the plug boots when they washed it, but that should have cleared up pretty quickly.....

so...at a loss.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is it possible water got into the engine bay, got onto the top off te block and then into the #1 slot, messing with things?

Did they wash the exterior or also do a engine bay detailing?

bisco likes this.
  6. Big Nick

Big Nick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    60k miles. Swapped coils same codes and knock.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. Big Nick

Big Nick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Changed battery after detailing as it was giving low readings.

8. Big Nick

Big Nick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Washed the engine bay too. He wash the interior and was running the car to drive the interior he said the car was running about 1 hour before the knocking started. It was this reason I thought maybe the 12-volt battery which was on The Fringe anyway might be the problem so I replaced it but I still have the knocking.

9. Big Nick

Big Nick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I pulled every coil out everything was dry I turn the car on and could clearly hear the spark jumping as opposed to coil out slightly from each one.

10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How are you reading these codes?

Please list *all* of the current codes retrieved.

Which codes are we talking about now, so far you've mentioned :
    • P030X
    • P0351
    • P03XX
    What were those X's ??

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Big Nick

Big Nick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    P0300P0301,p0302,p0303,p0351

SFO likes this.
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well my guess...total guess is that it's one of two things....
    Either a total coincidence that this problem whatever it is arose after being detailed OR...
    When the engine compartment was cleaned, something did get knocked loose.

I'm NOT putting my money on 12 volt battery, because I've read a lot of threads of them causing gremlin like problems if drained or weakening, but I've never heard anything about them causing engine knock.

That being said, testing the 12 volt is pretty easy to do, and rules it out...so it couldn't hurt.

Does anyone know what those codes refer to?
    That might help in what area to look for something knocked loose.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Googling indicates ignition coil problem, various cylinders.

The Electric Me likes this.
  14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Makes me suspicious that it is something knocked loose due to engine compartment cleaning.

I wonder how the detailer cleaned the engine compartment.
    I use to live relatively close to one of those coin operated high pressure sprayer car wash set ups.

And I don't know how many times I saw somebody high pressure "cleaning" their engine compartment, then later stranded at the car wash with the hood up, trying to figure out why the vehicle wouldn't start.

My feeling is you have to be VERY careful with all modern engines.
    I don't even really bother with any major cleaning of the engine.
    Every 2 month or so, I'll open the hood up and wipe down the easily accessible parts. With just a spray bottle of water, and a towel/rag.
    That keeps it looking nice enough to me, without risking exactly this type of problem arising.

Merkey and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah reading closer, @Big Nick has inspected coils, says everything is dry, now. Maybe it wasn't so dry, at some point, and that shorted something? (n)

16. Big Nick

Big Nick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've unplugged and plugged just about everything in that I could see except for the high voltage connectors. It is still knocking especially under load I think it's having issues even when it's just idling without a load but it's hard to tell. I have a 2008 Prius I'm going to Swap all the coils between the two cars and see if that resolves the knock later today. One more point is I was squirting carburetor cleaner into where the butterfly valve is by the air filter and as long as I was squirting in it seemed to improve. I'm starting to wonder if I got some water in the gas or bad gas.

17. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Odd that P0304 (cyl #4) wasn't also reported.

Still not sure how you are reading or retrieving these codes, now might be the time to invest in a mini-vci cable (or similar) and get techstream up and running.

Those DTCs (P0301 - P0303) indicate multiple logged misfires on three (3) cylinders, is it known if they're current or historical?

Have you disconnected the 12v to clear the codes?

Pretty sure @edthefox5 has previously mentioned the rubbers on these COPs giving out over time and having issues with 'carbon tracking', you might be able to clean them or not. It could be your detail shop didn't cover up critical components, or used a type of surfactant or dressing which left a residue during/after higher pressure washing.

DTC P0351 points to coil #1. If you swapped/moved coil #1 (as mention above) to another spark plug/cylinder (let us say #2) and then retrieved a DTC of P0352 we might assume that something is wrong with the coil you're moving around. But everything stayed the same, with P0351 being reported again (but now with coil #2 on cyl #1).. which sounds like a signalling issue, you might first check for tracking on the plugs/cops, then look into the connection/ground/harness signalling issue (see repair work up, below), as it would be doubtful that multiple COPs would all be bad o_O

Here is the whole article where the snippet below was taken from : Under the Hood: COP Patrol – Tracking Down Coil-on-Plug Misfires

Life on the Street
    Due to the lack of component accessibility on many applications, diagnosing COP ignition systems often requires a variety of diagnostic strategies. When used in an OBD II application, a defective COP ignition will usually store a P0300 misfire trouble code in the PCM’s diagnostic memory.

In Photo 2, the scan tool screen shows misfires in all cylinders because the spark plugs are worn. But, most important, the misfire history indicates that the number three cylinder has been misfiring repeatedly due to a bad spark plug, coil, fuel injector, valve train defect, leaking cylinder head gasket or low cylinder compression.

Using this screen as an example, let’s keep in mind that many OBD II PCMs will indicate an open condition in the primary circuit by displaying P0350 through P0362 diagnostic trouble codes.

In this case, the only available DTC is P0303, which indicates a degree of misfire that’s potentially damaging to the vehicle’s catalytic converter. Although the misfire history indicates misfires in the remaining cylinders, none have reached the threshold needed for storing a general or cylinder-specific misfire code.

Criminal Patterns

The most common failure in COP ignitions is carbon tracking or “flash over” on the spark plug insulator. See Photo 3.​

Although carbon tracking is usually caused by oil, dirt or moisture creating a path to ground over the spark plug insulator, a severely eroded spark plug electrode will increase firing voltages to the point that the spark will seek the point of least resistance, which is either through the spark plug boot or down the insulator to the metal shell.

If a carbon track is found on a spark plug, an identical track will be found inside the spark plug boot.

If the boot is serviced as a replacement part separate from the coil, the boots should be replaced at the same intervals as the spark plugs. If the boot is available only with the coil assembly, the spark plugs should be replaced at the recommended intervals and care should be taken not to contaminate the boot or insulator with dirt or oil.​

And for reference here is the repair and work up for P0351, and for DTC P0300 thru P0304 (y)

edthefox5 and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. Big Nick

Big Nick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for all the info! I swapped out all the coils from the 2008 to the 2007 and the 2007 is still knocking away like there's no tomorrow. I'm going to pull the last two plugs out tomorrow on cylinders 3 and 4 and check those. I have a borescope and I put it in cylinders 1 & 2 they seem to have a lot of carbon more than I'm used to I'm starting to think there may be an issue with the fuel injector a number 1 or maybe I got bad gas. If the plugs on three and four are okay I'm going to have it towed to a garage and let them figure it out. I'm kind of at the end of my skills.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Big Nick

Big Nick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    So the car went to the dealer and they are telling me that one coil and all four injectors need to be replaced total bill will be $1,700. I told him to pack the car up and that I will it picked up via tow truck and I'll be getting it fixed someplace else mainly my garage. I've already ordered 4 injectors off of eBay for about $40 and a set of coils as well for about $30. I believe the only injector that's having problems is injector number one because of the p0351 code so I will start there and see what happens. Thoughts anyone? I never replaced an injector before I'm hoping this isn't too hard.

SFO likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thought I posted something, will try again:

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.