1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Knocking/bumping when engine turns on/off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rodri9o, Sep 3, 2019.

1. rodri9o

rodri9o Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noticed that the engine in my Prius sometimes thumps and makes the car rock a little. More noticeable when the emergency brake is not engaged, one still feels it when sitting in the car sometimes when parked waiting in a parking lot. Also, when driving and the switched from engine to battery and back to engine one can also feel a bump. Best way to describe is that it starts 'hard'. Lastly, it doesn't seem to make a difference if it is cold or warm out, and whether the engine is warmed or stone cold.

From previous cars I've owned that had bad motor mounts, it feels very much like I would need motor mounts, but since the Prius is not the normal car and I've never had one previously, I figured I'd ask for help.

Info on the car:
    2006 Prius. Never had a code in 40k of ownership or 1 year and 8 months.
    The car has about 235k ( purchased with 192k), original battery and still getting 42-46 depending on how fast I drive on highway and depending on whether I have the bike rack on and if it has bikes mounted.
    Fresh oil, synthetic 5/30 with OEM filter, new OE plugs with gap at 1.0mm, fresh transfluid. Replaced PCV valve at 196K. I always use 91 or 93 oct (car seems to get better mileage with it).

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    generally, the bump/roll is due to the engine spinning to its next starting point, and the parking pawl engaging

the bump when driving might also be normal, there's always some transition feel, but that's hard to tell over the internet.
    if it is getting worse, the mounts are a good place to start, and then maybe some engine work

3. rodri9o

rodri9o Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, its been the same since i got the car...hasn't really gotten worse that I've noticed.

Ill keep it rollin and keep an eye on it. If i get bored and itchy i may change motor mounts. Have to read up on how annoying it is to do.

Thanks for the input!

bisco likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Having owned my 07 since new I noticed when the hybrid battery was getting tired it made more of a start stop ruckus like what your seeing.

I like many others on this site bought a Prolong a hybrid battery rejuvenation charger/discharger and after
    Charging and discharging have gotten a couple more years out of it. Less ruckus with healthy battery.

Start thinking about what your going to do when the hybrid battery dies because that’s the most common thing happening to the G2 platform. Thousands of posts about it. Your battery is 13 years old.

On your 2006 unless it’s been replaced your way over due for hybrid battery issues.

5. rodri9o

rodri9o Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good info, thanks!
    I have been checking the on-car diagnostic feature that comes up ont he screen and it always mentions its OK (i guess until it is not OK).
    I have a vehicle history from Toyota (the previous owner was on point with the dealership and the service intervals up to 180k or so) and did not see any battery replacement. How would I know if it was replaced at some point? Are there any tell tale signs I can look for to tell me the battery is newer or original?

6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Replacement batteries have more than one sticker on the case. The only way to really tell is to take the battery apart and check the dates. I would say if it doesn’t show up on Toyota.com it probably is the original.

rodri9o likes this.
  7. rodri9o

rodri9o Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I'll start planning on a replacement battery.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    newpriusbatteries.com

9. rodri9o

rodri9o Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sent message! Lol

bisco likes this.
  10. rodri9o

rodri9o Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, it has been 8 months and I never got around to checking the battery, although it 'seems' fine with holding charge, and charging in general...no engine lights or codes. We'll see how long that lasts...so far so good.

I replaced the ignition coil packs. The car has about 250k on it now and the coil packs looked to be the original ones. Replacement took about 20 min and I've been driving it around all morning, still have not experienced the hard/rough engine start up and shut down. Idle is WAY smoother and less vibratory...feels really nice.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)

12. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Should ignition coil packs be changed when plugs are changed? Or wait for other indications of problem? Code?

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think they fail much. I tend to look at them carefully if they're out for any reason. Last time I had mine out, I noticed a slight sign of some discharge tracking on one of them where the rubber boot joins the body, but it seemed minor enough that I just pulled the boot off, cleaned up the tracking, put some dielectric grease there and the boot back on, and reused it. I'll take another look the next time I have a reason to.

14. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 06 hybrid battery is still original and I am wondering if the prolong charger would be worth it in my case. My battery is still healthy and never discharges less than the 5 or 6 blue bars (excluding when max ac is on in the summer or going up the rocky mountains on a trip). I plan on having this car for a long time (84k miles currently). Or do I just let it age and replace the battery when that time comes. Down the road I am also open to reconditioning, but I understand my modules are very old. Any thoughts? I definitely have paranoia on this matter

15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought one of there original systems that also used the light bulbs for discharging. i was able to keep my tired battery going for 2 more years till the newpriusbatteries.com came along.

I sold that old prolong system last year for more than I paid for it. Now they have automated chargers much more expensive than my old system. But it works!

Raytheeagle and nancytheprius like this.
  16. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ve got nearly 200k miles on my 2007 original HV battery so I don’t think you’ve got much to worry about there, with 84k, it’s the other stuff that may fail. Keep all fluids changed and drive it at least a few times a week. I use mine as a cheap mode of transportation and the folded seats and hatch area make a great cargo transporting vehicle.

nancytheprius likes this.
  17. nancytheprius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How is that battery holding up? how many years have you had it and how many miles since battery replacement?

18. nancytheprius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This was posted and maybe its destiny haha. Do you think it would work with gen 2 as well besides maybe needing a new harness?

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    84000 miles on a 2006 may be troublesome as the car has not been driven much over the last 15 years. Same thing I went through in my G2.
    That kills the battery.

Hybrid battery’s in G2 do best driven a lot….all the time.. Constant charge /recharge. Sitting kills them and excites corrosion.

20. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    84,000 over 15 years is a bit over 100 miles per week. 20 miles per work day. All depends if it is evenly distributed driving. More is better but the devil is in the details.