1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

knocking noise coming from passenger wheel area?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mountaintodd, Mar 10, 2014.

1. mountaintodd

mountaintodd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I need help troubleshooting what this noise, problem, and part is.

We have an 07 Prius with around 150,000 miles on it.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a slight knocking noise coming from the passenger front wheel area mainly when I was turning toward the right.

Question.......So when turning to the right, it first seemed to me that the right side would experience a heavier load. However, after further thought and appling some physics the inertia of the car would actually be putting a heavier load on the left side during a right turn. Which is correct?

Just trying to troubleshoot the noise/problem.
    #1 when I apply the brakes, the noise doesn't change. I don't think it's brake related.
    #2 the noise speeds up with speed, meaning that it's rotational.
    #3 The noise does get louder when I am turning right but has know progressed into a constant noise going straight. During a left turn it subsided.
    #4 I did take my floor jake and jaked the pass. front wheel up but didn't see anything broken or damaged. I couldn't rotate the tire though.
    #5 I also had the tires rotated today and the noise got worse.

I'm thinking it's either an axle or wheel bearing? If so, can I replace it myself or will I have to bring it to the Toyota?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that you should seek professional assistance.

I'd expect a failing wheel bearing to make a whoo - whoo sort of noise.

I would expect a failing constant velocity joint to make a clicking sound only when load is applied or removed from the joint, not for the sound to be continual.

Is it possible that the knock is due to something stuck in a tire, like a large nail head in a tire tread, which is hitting the pavement as the tire rotates?

3. Deidram

Deidram Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2005 Prius with 257000 km or about 165000 miles. I had a whump, whump sound in the front passenger wheel area that hung around for about 6 months. I procrastinated because overall the car seemed to be running fine with no loss of steering and the noise wasn't always noticeable. One day, there was definite grinding noise so I pulled over and turned the car off. I check the tires, etc and nothing. I started the car and the noise was gone. Grrr. I decided to have the wheel bearings checked out at Toyota (I'm not a DIY, not agile enough) and sure enough the wheel bearing on the right front needed to be replaced. My husband was surprised that only the right side needed replacement, but the problem is gone.

The car's been a gem. The only major work that I've had done is the cat converter and brake pads and now wheel bearings on one side. Mileage is around 4.8 to 5.3 l/100k in mild weather and up to 6.2 in cold. Not bad for an older car. I'm hoping to go to at least 500,00o km.

4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick's advice is worth about 7962 times more than mine....

However, I do remember being on a camping trip with my dad about 14 years ago and his Ford started making clicking sounds coming from the wheel.

Once we made it out of the backroads, checked it out and it was the wheelbearing.

Remember that only because I had to sit around a rural gas station for half a day waiting for the repair.

CLICK< CLICK< CLICK

Remember it so well....of course that was a Ford, not a Prius.

5. mountaintodd

mountaintodd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for the help!

I still haven't done anything yet, mainly because it got cold last week and the noise wasn't as loud and annoying. I guess the colder weather thickened up the grease and provided more lubrication because it was warmer yesterday and it got louder again. So, the big question still remains, CV joint or wheel bearing?

I'm leaning towards CV joint because of the weight bearing changes (louder when turning right), and the noise seems clanky, my wife says it sounds like a chu chu train. I'd say kind of hammering/tapping/clanking.

Anybody know how many CV joints are on the passenger front wheel (inner/outer for example)? Cost? Best place to buy them? Can I do this job myself?

Again, thanks so much for everyone's time and help! Happy Spring!!

6. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Weight bearing changes sound more like a wheel bearing. Also, a cv joint will typically only be noisy around a turn, or on accel/decal. A wheel bearing will usually be more noisy the faster you are traveling. Noise may lessen or go away momentarily if the steering wheel is "jogged" to one side or another while at cruise.

Hope this helps.

7. tomw

tomw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One way to eliminate the wheel bearing would be to jack up your vehicle. Support it on jack stands. Without getting under the vehicle, grasp the wheel at the top and bottom and attempt to rock it. There should be minimal movement. Excessive play may indicate that the wheel bearing is worn and needs replacement. Otherwise you should check the CV joints for cracks or holes. There might some grease spray in the immediate area if you have a hole.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Can I do this job myself?"
    If you feel the need to ask the question, then the answer is probably "no". However you can download repair manual info at techinfo.toyota.com to see what is involved, allowing you to better assess your ability to either replace the wheel bearing or replace an axleshaft that contains two constant-velocity joints.

There also are several posts on this subject from owners who have done the job themselves, some more successfully than others.

I would say that neither job is for the neophyte; and that you need the proper tools to get either job done.

9. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I replaced my steering wrack (06) it made a knocking sound at times. Get it to an alignment shop, five minutes and you'll have an answer, bearings are a loud constant grind (at speed)