1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Knocking Noise from Engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kenshin Lu, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Kenshin Lu

Kenshin Lu New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2007 Prius has the mileage of 171,000km and since around 3 years before I've sensed the knocking noise from engine, especially on acceleration at low speeds. The noise is pretty annoying and is not normal at all. I've never skipped service, and everything else seems alright. The toyota dealer has cleaned the injectors in the last service half year ago to see if the noise is gone but it didn't help; they've checked oxygen sensor (on my request) and it's normal; they carried out cold start test and found pinging noise. They checked long term fuel data and found fuel mexture being too rich. So they suggest to replace all fuel injectors and reassess.

Before doing that, I want to make sure: does the problem really come from the injectors? If yes, do I have to change them?

I'm desperate for advice! Thank you very much in advance!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It appears that you are reporting two separate issues:
    1. Engine pinging
    2. Fuel/air mixture is too rich

Regarding engine ping, have you tried using premium fuel to see if that makes a difference?

Regarding the rich mixture, I doubt that all four injectors are bad with only 171K km logged. What does the engine air filter look like (look at the bottom of the filter)?

Kenshin Lu likes this.
  3. Kenshin Lu

Kenshin Lu New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a lot for your reply!
    I've tryed using premium fuel for a few times but no difference come out.
    I'll take a look athe bottom of the filter tomorrow as you instruct, and let you know later...
    Thanks again!

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, look at the mass air flow sensor located in the air cleaner housing. That sensor has an amber bulb for the ambient air temp sensor. It also has a couple of very fine wires that cannot be seen unless the sensor is removed from the housing. Those wires serve as the mass air flow sensor.

If the amber bulb is grayish looking, that means that it is coated with dirt/dust. Get a spray can of mass air flow sensor cleaner (do not use any other cleaner such as throttle body cleaner.) Remove the sensor from the air cleaner housing and spray it liberally with the cleaner. Do not touch the sensor with anything other than the cleaner spray.

Robert Holt and Kenshin Lu like this.
  5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If higher octane fuel doesn’t change the noise it really can’t be pinging. It could be just something lose and rattling on the engine or exhaust. Does it make the same noise if (while stationary in drive) you force charge the hybrid battery by pressing brake hard HARD with your left feet and pushing the accelerator with your right feet? You can then adjust the engine rpm with gas pedal trying to get it to produce the noise. If you can do that you can then listen where the noise is coming from.

Kenshin Lu likes this.
  6. Kenshin Lu

Kenshin Lu New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've tried what you suggest but everything is fine...

7. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Running to rich for a long time could have resulted in a buildup of carbon deposits in the combustion chamber which will raise your compression ratio and lead to pinging. If the buildup is really bad, even when using higher octane gas the engine can still ping.

See if your mechanic has an micro-camera that can display the inside of the combustion chambers by removing the spark plugs.

Kenshin Lu likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pinging and knocking are 2 different things. You need to determine which as they have different courses of action. Pinging sounds like marbles in a can upon load acceleration. Thats detonation.

Knocking is much worse and sounds much lower frequency and much more distinct. Knocking is bad as it reflects lower engine bearing damage. Usually caused by running the car low on engine oil.

Have you ever ran the car so low on engine oil it threw the engine icon on the dash. The yellow icon?

Is there any dash light codes being thrown? Check engine lights? If not then most engine parameters are within specification and that may mean your issue is strictly mechanical.

Kenshin Lu likes this.
  9. Kenshin Lu

Kenshin Lu New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your comment.
    The yellow icon has never shown.
    I am still not sure if my car's noice is pinging or knocking...
    Btw, what do you mean by "strictly mechanical"?
    Thanks again!

10. Kenshin Lu

Kenshin Lu New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll have a try tmr! Many thx

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

That's good no yellow icon but how are you about checking and maintaining the oil level? Have you ever run the car real low on oil? Keep after it as most hi mileage Prius eat oil.

Strictly mechanical means well its strictly mechanical....not sensored...something bent, broken, loose, worn out, hanging from the bottom of the car etc...something that does not have a sensor monitoring it. Like blown bottom end engine bearings. There's no sensor for that. Sometimes if the bearing damage is significant it will throw a misfire code due to lower end vibration that throws the crank/cam sensors out of whack.
    if the car has severe detonation it will engage the knock sensor and that circuit will command the engine to retard timing to mitigate detonation making the engine feel very loaded and sluggish. If the car has lower end bearing damage it may not engage the knock sensor and the engine will still feel peppy but engine failure is imminent. Also bearing damage is most notable if you put the engine in inspection mode (go on youtube and search Prius Inspection Mode) and then get under the front of the car and have a good listen for metallic banging or lower end booming.

We are seeing lots of posts about G2 engine damage due to poorly maintained oil. The 1.5 motor is extremely tough but will not tolerate 0 oil pressure.

Detonation has a unique sound to it. Like marbles in a can when you hit the accelerator on a hill.

Kenshin Lu likes this.