1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

KNOWN Highest odometer original mileage recorded

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dion Kraft, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Who knows what the highest mileage is and what are the basic averages? 200,000 miles or more?
    I am looking at a 04 with 215K on the clock and was wondering how much more will it go. Basically I am going to use it to run around town so if it blows up its no big deal. I see used engines and trannys going for pretty cheap. This car is on sale for $5k. It is a Base model. If it blows labor is free. I am an prof auto mechanic
    Thanks in advance for your time.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! i've heard 5-600,000 on some canadian taxi's. of course there are repairs involved.

there's a thread here with posted mileage.

if you don't mind fixing it, what exactly is your concern?

are you wondering the highest miles without repairs?

3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Google it, there are cars with 600K and some with 400K on the original battery.

4. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah..we'll fixing it is no problem for me it is that fixing things for a hobby is not what I had in mind it is more or less what to expect is the item. If I have to rip out the eng/trans out with the eng cradle its no biggy since I have a hoist at home. MaxJax. Tools..have them all or if not I buy them. But it is what I can do with my time is the big matter and I try to project what the problems can be BEFORE they happen.
    But luckily transportation is not a problem since I have now 12 cars at home and they all run. Most recent is the wifeys 09 Pruis fully loaded.
    Meanwhile I will opt for the high mileage Base model. 2004. I will checkout Google and see what gives as you suggested. Thanks!

5. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank u for your swift reply...I do recall that many are cabs and they would have to be reliable to meet those conditions. I should know..I used to be a CAB mechanic!! lol!

orenji likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2004 was built like a tank. probably the fewest problems of all the gen II's. all the best!(y)

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Weren't there some second gen's with odometer that stops at 300,000 miles? Or was that first gen??

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    That was (is) the Gen2 2004 and 2005 versions the design flaw was fixed in the 2006+ versions. I have a 2004 - 20.5k miles till the odometer stops).

JeffD

Mendel Leisk likes this.