1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kohl's has free Blink Level 2 charging

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Ken Blake, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had occasion to shop at two Kohl's stores here in the SW Portland metro area this week. Both of them had Blink chargers, and a sign stating that you can charge free while you shop. One of the stores had a Leaf and a Ford Energi charging there before I arrived, and they were still charging after I finished and left. That's pretty awesome, and they have now earned my business away from Target, Fred Meyer, etc., where there are either no chargers, or ones that charge by the hour.

Here's a link to their press release, detailing charging station locations in each state where they have them:

http://www.kohlsgreen.com/media/pdfs/Kohl'sEVReleaseFINAL_9.5.pdf

iplug and MPGnutcase like this.
  2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    1 charger at 1 stinking location in NY, figures... When will NY ever get with the program.

3. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sorry Mark, there are SOME benefits to relocating to the "Left Coast" ;) (I am an expatriate New Yorker)

Paradox likes this.
  4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I thought that, unlike ChargePoint, where the station owner determines the fee, that Blink charging stations assessed a fee based on the user's account. Is it being claimed that there is a mechanism for the station owner to determine the charge? Or perhaps they have an option to have the fee waived completely?

5. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That was my understanding as well, but I charged at both locations on Monday, and was not charged a fee. Today I paid more attention, and saw the sign stating that charging was free. It said that you could get an RFID card at customer service if you didn't already have one. I guess Kohl's is either paying the fees directly to Blink Network, or they have the option of having the fee waived somehow.

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Lol, I absolutely love the west coast. I lived, rather was stationed in Sacramento for 5 years in the 90's and wanted to stay but 2+ years waiting on PG&E's hiring list after passing their test made me leave.

Anyways, it is good to see stores offering charging like this even if not free and we can only hope more follow in more states as time goes on.

7. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Kohls has done studeries and found that the average EV driver spends 45 minutes longer in the stoe ane spends fifty dollars more than the average shopper

Ken Blake and JMD like this.
  8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for posting.

However, there is only one with charging station in NY and it is 46 miles away.

There are Targets 2.2, 3.4 and 4.4 miles away from home. PiP can easily make a round trip to either of them.

I hope Kohl's put a charger in the store near me.

9. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced