1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Koni FSD Struts/Shocks - Just Released

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by The Critic, Dec 28, 2014.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is pretty exciting news - Koni just released their FSD struts for the Gen III Prius.

The part # is 2100-4145 and various sites are starting to sell the complete set (front and rear) for about $700.

These are a significant improvement over stock, especially from a ride quality standpoint.

Koni North America - ITT

2. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    You installed a set?

3. adizon

adizon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Subscribed. This is great news. Koni struts are awesome.

4. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  5. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hmmm////

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unfortunately this is a known "issue" with the FSDs. I think you're pretty much stuck with using stock springs or perhaps ones that have a very very minor drop?

7. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    well, best thing would be they would offer a whole kit (dampeners with the matching (lowered) springs) /

8. adizon

adizon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If these would work with TRD spring rates and drop (which it still may work) this is the struts I would want to put on over the standard KYB's. Koni valving is unbelievable. They give such an amazing ride.

9. adizon

adizon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This was on Koni's FAQ:

KONI: FAQ

Q: How far can I safely lower my car?
    A: KONIs are designed to fit standard height cars and can work with lowered cars as long as they don't bottom out internally and become damaged. Unlike some shocks, KONIs are not position sensitive so they will work properly anywhere in their stroke range providing they are not bottoming or topping out. Different vehicle suspension designs have different stroke travels but a good rule of thumb is that most vehicles can be lowered acceptably about 30-40 mm, beyond that the possibility of bottoming increases rapidly although some longer stroke cars can go lower. Most vehicles are equipped with bump stops to keep the shocks and springs from bottoming out. When lowering a vehicle be sure to reuse your bump stops as they are cheap insurance to avoid bottoming damage. Remember also that severely lowered vehicles typically also have a negative effect on suspension geometry, ride quality and handling, and tire and suspension part wear.

30mm = 1.18"
    40mm = 1.57"

The Critic likes this.
  10. ZBrink

ZBrink Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Has anyone installed these yet? My Prius is bone stock and I am trying to improve the ride quality especially but also the handling.

solrunner likes this.
  11. adizon

adizon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey Fellas, I contacted Koni about their FSD Shocks and TRD springs here's what was said:

Me:
    "I Drive a 2010 Prius Five.

I'm really excited that you guys have the Toyota 10-14 Prius Hybrid excl. wagon - 2100 4145 FSD Kit (Gold). However I just wanted to verify if these shocks will be compatible with Toyota TRD lowering springs? They are a mild spring that lowers the Prius from stock height front 1.1" rear 1.3", I believe the rates are mild from oem too. Just wasn't sure if there would be any issues.

Thanks ,
    ~gus"

Koni Rep:

"Gus,
    Thank you for contacting us here at KONI NA. Yes, the FSD dampers will work with mild lowering springs.

Mason O’Hara
    KONI North America
    1961A International Way
    Hebron, Ky. 41048
    859 488-0324
    www.koni-na.com
    www.koniracing.com
    www.konirv.com"

I hope this helps!

12. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    good to know that/
    now I just have to find some stiffer springs than the eibachs/

13. solrunner

solrunner Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am curious to know if anyone has installed these. I want to make my Prius ride smoother. I wonder how smooth it would make the ride to upgrade to these premium shocks and struts.

Bought my 2013 II new and the first 5,000 miles were super smooth. But after going on a long dirt road (tires were at 44/42 psi, big mistake?) the ride is nowhere near as smooth. The suespension no longer absorbs the rough or patchy roads as well. Lowered the psi to 35/33 which helped, but still nowhere as smooth as it was before traversing the first dirt road. Just normal suspension break in I guess? I wonder how much of it is wear on the bushings versus shock/strut wear, or maybe something else.

Other than that I love this car. The engine and transmission are so smooth. Would be awesome to make the ride quality smooth! I don't really care about handling or performance. :D

elementnomore likes this.
  14. Vigilant

Vigilant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone tried this yet? I'm pretty sure some of you need to change the old struts now.

solrunner likes this.
  15. Joele3

Joele3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm on the fence. I have 88k miles on Eibach springs since 48k. Feeling the rear struts getting a little weak on me. I changed the struts on my gen 2 on around 115k they weren't leaking but huge difference in ride quality. For the gen 3 I'm debating on these struts or just go with coilovers.

16. adizon

adizon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

If you like the ride height of your Eibach springs the Koni's would probably complete your handling and ride. Koni damping is among the best. Not sure what coilovers out there for the Prius would give the best balance of a great compliant ride and handling. But even saying this there is some subjectivity. Ask a 40 year old vs a 23 year old what a compliant ride is . . . .

17. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I notice most shock manufacturer writes these disclaimers in there to reduce their liability. TRD or Plus spring lower the car about 1" so should be a nice match. If you were to try to get these covered under warranty, I would suspect they won't check your setup. I warranty a set of Bilstein coilovers and minimal questions.

never mind.. I missed the post where you verified ok with Koni..

18. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Looks like a Koni started a sale on 3/1/15? Kit is under $600 now.

Who's running these? What's the feedback?

solrunner and adizon like this.
  19. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback on these too. I'm considering pulling the trigger on these.

solrunner likes this.
  20. KeKeKeKeViN

KeKeKeKeViN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Really 2015 now and still no one tried these Koni Shocks yet? Looks like I'll be the first one then. After some 92k hardcore ubering and lyfting in SF shitty roads. I'm looking to upgrade shocks + springs + sway bar.

elementnomore and orenji like this.