1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kwh, charge time, EV range

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by crewdog, Dec 12, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you'd think it would tell you that it will stop charging the battery until set temperature is reached, thus increasing charging time.

2. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I had my car plugged in to my 110 volt line and charge has completed, and I initiate remote climate, when remote climate has finished ten minutes later and then I unplugged the cable and got into the car I got the message that charging has stopped. (because I unplugged before charging had completed) So probably the battery is used to heat the car during remote climate activation. You would figure 12 amps would be sufficient to heat the car ( the rating of the EVSE) I guess not.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting. the heat pump is part of the a/c so requires high power, dc?

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think it would be better to heat up the car while the cable is still plugged in. That way some (120V) or all (240V) of the power used by the heat pump will come from the grid rather than the traction battery.

And, yes, I doubt this will work when it's below 14°F, since Toyota says it won't. I do wonder what will happen though. I doubt it will start and run the ICE because it doesn't know if it's in a well-ventilated area or not.

JamesBurke and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  5. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Not the best translation.

I take it to mean that the AC will pull what it needs and the remainder (if any exists) will go towards battery charging.

Arithmetically,
    W - wall power after losses
    B - power to battery
    AC - power to AC

B = W - AC

#145 EV-ish, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the section about setting charging schedules, the one where you're setting a Departure Time with Climate Prep, the wording in that section made it sound like the battery runs the A/C or heat pump unit so the battery may not be fully charged by the set departure time.

That's different from the part you quoted where it made it sound like the battery is bypassed and the heat pump or A/C unit runs off the wall charge directly.

7. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will never forget in the 1970's buying a portable radio made in Japan in which the instructions cautioned "Do not enjoy your radio in the rain". After reading the (online) Prime manual regarding Remote A/C and Climate Prep it seems that instructions have only marginally improved in the ensuing decades.

As probably everyone knows the main pages for Remote A/C (the keyfob function) are found on pages 509, 510, 511, 512. However I found a few other references scattered about the manual which (sometimes) shed additional light. Listed below, followed by a few scattered references to Climate Prep. (if this list should instead be a sticky feel free to move it out of this thread)

Page 99

Using the Remote Air Conditioning System (→P. 509) while the charging cable is connected to the vehicle can reduce electricity consumption immediately after starting off by operating air conditioning mainly using electricity from an external power source.

Page 150

When the following operations are performed while the charging timer is on standby, timer charging is temporarily canceled and charging is started immediately.
    ●When the Remote Air Conditioning System (→P. 509) is operated

Page 173
    When the Remote Air Conditioning System is operated, the system will start charging immediately, even if the charge schedule is registered. To carry out charging using the timer, stop the Remote Air Conditioning System, and then reconnect the charging cable.

Page 493

If frost has formed on the outside heat exchanger, the heating performance will decline. The frost can be removed from the outside heat exchanger by operating the Remote Air Conditioning System before driving (→P. 509). When frosted over, the heating operation of the Remote Air Conditioning System starts after defrosting

Page 740 (my paraphrase of the table) the default to turn on/off Remote A/C is you have to press and hold the Remote A/C button on the fob for 0.8 seconds. However you can have the dealer change this to a single press of the button, or a double press of the button, or you can have them disable the Remote A/C button.

CLIMATE PREP

Page 99

When setting the timer, selecting the start time setting mode and setting “Climate Prep” to “On” can reduce electricity consumption immediately after starting off by operating air conditioning before charging is completed. (→P. 147)

Page 147

Air conditioning-linked setting (“Climate Prep”)
    When the charging mode is set to “Departure”, the vehicle air conditioning system (→P. 488, 498) can be set to automatically operate* according to the set time. By adjusting the cabin temperature in advance, passengers can enjoy a pleasant interior immediately after entering the vehicle.
    *: Operation starts approximately 10 minutes before the set departure time.

Page 149

“Climate Prep”
    ●When the air conditioning-linked setting is turned on, the air conditioning operates until the set departure time. Therefore, the air conditioning will consume electricity and charging may not complete by the set departure time.
    ●If the hybrid battery (traction battery) is fully charged, charging will not be carried out, even if the charge schedule is set. However, if “Climate Prep” is turned on, the air conditioning will operate only once when it nears the time set in “Departure”. If this occurs, the air conditioning will consume electricity and the remaining charge of the hybrid battery (traction battery) when departing may be decreased.

Page 153

■ Registering the charge schedule (continued from page 152)

8 - When the charging mode is set to “Departure”, set the “Climate Prep” (→P. 147) to on or off.

Page 174

When “Climate Prep” is set to “On”, the air conditioning operates until the set departure time. Therefore, charging may not complete by the set time due to charging conditions. To have the hybrid battery (traction battery) fully charged, allow charging to continue.